Point A Dam Andalusia, AL fossil hunt for shark teeth

Panhandle001

I'm going to take my daughter out to Point A Dam for the first time looking for fossils tomorrow. Can anyone give me tips/ instructions on where to park and where to search in Conecuh River at the dam? Thanks! I just took her to the quartz mine in Arkansas and she saw they fossils the had and she has the bug.

• I found this Informative 1

I drove up to Point A with my daughter today. I read through many of the post and was able to find some areas with fossils in the Eocene layer. We found 25 shark teeth including two tiger shark teeth, 5 ray mouth plates, 2 ray barbs, and a larger tooth that we are unsure of what it was from. We had a blast though. This website is great. Thanks to everyone that has posted informations to help out some newbies! Has anyone tried and had any luck with the area where the river comes back together south of the dam? There is a solid rock bed about 2 feet above the water just south of where the river joins back together and layers of sand but I was unable to find anything there.

Post the larger tooth and we'll try to identify. Glad you found stuff. That's always a treat when scouting a new site.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

The first picture is the unknown tooth we found. post-22081-0-04467000-1470183445_thumb.png

The second is all of fossils we found. post-22081-0-98474100-1470183456_thumb.png

The third is me and my daughter's first ever fossil find. post-22081-0-73045200-1470183457_thumb.png

The forth is of the tiger shark teeth we found. post-22081-0-53998200-1470183458_thumb.png

Your first pic looks to me like it may be a sawfish rostrum tooth: ) Nice finds

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Did y'all go down the wooden steps and look in the water to find the teeth or up towards the dam?

We went there today and scraped the river bottom and came home with several teeth. They were all small, we want to find some big ones. I know they have to be a few left.

Awesome finds! I can imagine that this only fuels the addiction :) We have discussed driving over and checking out the area too for a day. I am unfamiliar with the area and have read from other posts that it can be quite a hike. Is the area to park in easy to find?

• 3 weeks later...

We went down the river a few hundred yards. We also found a few at the first bend after the dam.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg I had to crop the picture so some of the teeth you can't see

What areas did you scrape the bottom? Was it before or after the falls?

We were scraping about 100 yards below where the river splits on the left side of the split and on the left side of that. With your back to the dam looking down river at the split that side makes a slow turn to the right , so we got almost to the end of the bend with a net and scraped next to the bank. You can also scoop up the sand where it meet the water there too. We only found small teeth but I had my 7 year old son and 10 year old niece with me and that was right up their alley. Do you have any places to share , there or somewhere else?

We found ours at the first bend on the left walking from the dam and where the river combines back together on the left when facing away from the dam. We used sifters I built. I wish I knew of some other places around. If I find any I'll let you know. There is another dam I saw online in Marianna that has produced teeth. We're from Pensacola. I wish we could find some other close areas that produced fossils but nothing so far.

Congratulations on your finds! Now the forum has a few more sharktooth nuts to contend with. LOL!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Anyone know what the deepest the water can be at Point A Dam to still effectively search for teeth?

I am going to try my luck out there today I think. Do you guys take regular shovels out there or just small hand shovels?

First trip out there ended up being a pretty good time. I will def make the drive out again now that I got my bearings :)

• 2 weeks later...

It was hard to find but remember to turn at the forestry tower, were only there a couple hours and the water seemed a little high. We found some but I think my sieve size was too large

image.jpeg

If your the same people I'll put up some pics of ours a little later.  A friend of ours uses a screen like you had, he likes to find bigger teeth.  We use the nets so we can keep our son interested in looking.  He's 7. 

• 4 weeks later...