Sign in to follow this  
RHoyle

Gray's Harbor sites?

RHoyle

Today I went out to gray's harbor to try and find some of the sites out there without very much luck. I was using this sites guidance here http://donaldkenney.x10.mx/STATES/WA.HTM but I only found one of the spots in Aberdeen. The rest I had no luck with. Though educational, it was a disappointing trip

Does anyone in the area better knowhow to find Gray's Harbor sites or any sites in Southwest Washington? I'd be interested in going out with an individual or group so I could better learn where to look!

Edited by RHoyle

Boesse

I'm afraid that I can't share the locality, but a spectacular skeleton of a new species of the extinct pinniped Allodesmus was collected in the vicinity, and my colleague Dr. Morgan Churchill and I are currently working on describing it: http://www.burkemuseum.org/blog/seal-evolution-pacific-northwest

DLB

Unforchinatly
Most sites in Grays harbor have been closed you would have some luck trying to hunt the Columbia river area but it's a lot closer to hunt the peninsula beaches hope that helps you

RHoyle

@DLB

Thank you for the information. Gray's Harbor is closest to home. I got a book which has good directions to what is apparently a good site so im going to try that out!

CH4ShotCaller

Good luck! As DLB stated, use caution. The information you have to sites are likely genuine, but laws have changed the past couple years. Getting caught, without the Weyerhauser permit, in an area that requires such permit, is a fine in itself. Getting caught collecting in those areas could result in hefty fines, seizure of vehicle, jail. The coast is where I tread now and the Columbia River.

NWGeoFan
On 8/31/2016 at 0:07 PM, CH4ShotCaller said:

Good luck! As DLB stated, use caution. The information you have to sites are likely genuine, but laws have changed the past couple years. Getting caught, without the Weyerhauser permit, in an area that requires such permit, is a fine in itself. Getting caught collecting in those areas could result in hefty fines, seizure of vehicle, jail. The coast is where I tread now and the Columbia River.

Where on the Columbia do you collect? I am in Vancouver and my spots on the coast are just too far for a weekend trip.