T-Rex Tooth

Hey everyone. I figured I'd run this T-Rex tooth past you guys. Does anyone see any red flags?

post-18018-0-46825700-1469899277_thumb.jpg

post-18018-0-55143400-1469899283_thumb.jpg

post-18018-0-26487600-1469899287_thumb.jpg

post-18018-0-27850000-1469899289_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bguild

What locality/formation is the seller saying it's from?

Edit: if it's Hell Creek looks spot on.

Edited by Troodon

What locality/formation is the seller saying it's from?

Edit: if it's Hell Creek looks spot on.

Hell Creek. Forgot to mention that.

Based on the teeth I've seen I agree it looks good, but better safe than sorry!

I've seen that seller's stuff. Looks good to me.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys, As I haven't got much knowledge about seeing if this tooth is real or now, I would really appreciate it if somebody could give some more detailed information how you can judge this being a real tooth.

This one was easy, I know the seller very well, he is a rancher in Montana, most of the material he sell is self-collected. It's not something he would consider doing at all. So knowing the sellers is part of the process. Selling replica dinosaur teeth as real is not something you see done in the industry so the risk is very low and not high on my list of issues. Most replicas look fake but very high end ones can be difficult to tell unless you are holding it. Getting the paint and sheen right is the key. Most experienced dealers can tell the difference since they very light and the end (base) does not look real.

The bigger issue with teeth are repairs and restorations that are not completely disclosed. These can be more difficult to see for the untrained eye. In the end I think the biggest issue with teeth is getting the proper identification. Most sellers have limited knowledge in this area. Selling adult Nanotyrannus teeth as Rex is much to common.

Edited by Troodon
  • I found this Informative 2

Thank you Troodon for this clear answer! Then my search for a good dealer starts here

Inquiries about dealers via PM, please. Thank you. :)

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

• 2 months later...