Fort Green Mine - South Pasture

Shellseeker

It had been a while since I had been fossil hunting and I needed to scratch that itch. SouthEast Geological Society (SEGS) planned a trip into the Fort Green Mine, Bowling Green Florida on July 29th-30th. I was in Mass/Vermont returning Friday and just could not make the field trip dinner and presentations Friday night. GREAT details about the geology and formation of Southern Florida. I did make the field trip Saturday..

I did have some concerns. I have not gone hunting in 2 months was just as brutal as I recall and I had to return twice in 3 hours to re-hydrate, rest, and avoid heatstroke. But life is like a box of chocolates... I met some old friends including Roger Portell, Barbara Fite (who has given her name to a Sabertooth Rhizosmilodon fiteae) and MikeR from this forum).

post-2220-0-92601100-1469932995_thumb.jpg Barbara standing in the pit. post-2220-0-69734700-1469933088_thumb.jpg as close as I have ever been been to the machinery and a drag line - about 100 yards. We also had a tour of the plant and a "reclaimed" section which included wetlands and a Cypress Swamp. Mosiac actually plans and recreates a stream and associated muck and plants the Cypress trees -- amazing. I learned something new today.

This was one of my better days hunting a phosphate mine -- I found a small Bone Valley blue Meg with white roots in the 1st 5 minutes.

A photo of Mike and Jack, plus pictures of my better find in my next post... Enjoy!!!!

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Ok, some of my finds:

post-2220-0-69003200-1469933916_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-07542700-1469933953_thumb.jpg

A grouping with a nice Equus...post-2220-0-49432300-1469934342_thumb.jpg

Me and Mike standing in front of the Cypress swamp...post-2220-0-30713400-1469934377_thumb.jpg

All in all a great hunt.. but really, really HOT...

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Nice finds Jack, been a little while since I've found anything good myself. Glad to see you could get out: )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Thanks for all the responses.

Doushantuo, This is actually a small to medium digging machine, capable of 45 cubic yards a bucket. The average machine handles 55-75 cyb, and the "monster" does a 145 cybs. Our guide gave us lots of detail, but my memory is not all it should be.

Deborah. Great to meet you. Glad you signed on -- Looks like a Mako in your haul, and that tiny one may be Hammerhead. You have good eyes. I know you also found fragments of Gomph, identified by Roger. Jack

I miss phosphate mine hunts. Was this an active mine? The only one Tampa Bay Fossil Club could get into (back when I was a member) was a closed mine where the company dumped post-processing spoils for clubs to hunt through.

Good to see that Barbara Fite's still out there hunting. I remember talking to her many times at TBFC meetings.

Yes, it was an active mine. They even took us out to a drag line to see the equipment in use.

Oh yeah, phosphate mines are hot. You have the sun and that light-colored rock reflecting right back at you. Only the chance at something great (like a complete megalodon or unusual mammal tooth) keeps you going. I was able to collect at one just before the company stopped letting people in - even the collectors they knew for a long time.

No one loves fossils more than Barbara.

It had been a while since I had been fossil hunting and I needed to scratch that itch. SouthEast Geological Society (SEGS) planned a trip into the Fort Green Mine, Bowling Green Florida on July 29th-30th. I was in Mass/Vermont returning Friday and just could not make the field trip dinner and presentations Friday night. GREAT details about the geology and formation of Southern Florida. I did make the field trip Saturday..

I did have some concerns. I have not gone hunting in 2 months was just as brutal as I recall and I had to return twice in 3 hours to re-hydrate, rest, and avoid heatstroke. But life is like a box of chocolates... I met some old friends including Roger Portell, Barbara Fite (who has given her name to a Sabertooth Rhizosmilodon fiteae) and MikeR from this forum).

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender1.jpg Barbara standing in the pit. attachicon.gifIMG_1077.JPG as close as I have ever been been to the machinery and a drag line - about 100 yards. We also had a tour of the plant and a "reclaimed" section which included wetlands and a Cypress Swamp. Mosiac actually plans and recreates a stream and associated muck and plants the Cypress trees -- amazing. I learned something new today.

This was one of my better days hunting a phosphate mine -- I found a small Bone Valley blue Meg with white roots in the 1st 5 minutes.

A photo of Mike and Jack, plus pictures of my better find in my next post... Enjoy!!!!

Here is my take from the mine. attachicon.gifIMG_1685 (1).JPG

Nice finds Deborah, that upper Mako is pretty sweet: )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Congrats on the great finds!. I can imagine how hot it must have been in a south Florida phosphate mine in July! Last year I went to Vulcan in May and thought the heat was going to kill me.