Miocene mystery bone

I_gotta_rock

Found at Matoaka beach, Calvert County, MD. Miocene era. Mostly marine fossils, but I don't think this one is because it's hollow. Found a peccary bone in the same region, though.

Sorry it's a bit soft. It's getting late and I'm trying to label things for a display this week. Fortunately, the other 100 or so fossils already have names and data!

post-18129-0-54617500-1469936321_thumb.jpg

post-18129-0-16872500-1469936331_thumb.jpg

post-18129-0-56320400-1469936410_thumb.jpg

Edited by I_gotta_rock

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

If it's hollow, it may be avian (bird). Lets see what others have to say.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Some others on the FB forum are saying mammal as well. One says peccary by the size, which would be really bizarre considering (1) the mammal bones you find out there are all whales and dolphins and (2) this would be the second peccary bone we've found but they were several miles and several year apart in roughly the same formation! Maybe the thing ran afoul of a giant alligator and got torn apart, but still, what are the odds?

So, here's an off-the-wall question: Most theories about large terrestrial animals ending up in the ocean is bloat and float. Could this just as easily - or even more easily- run afoul of a giant crocodilian?

So, here's an off-the-wall question: Most theories about large terrestrial animals ending up in the ocean is bloat and float. Could this just as easily - or even more easily- run afoul of a giant crocodilian?

Funny you'd mention that. I've often thought the same about the marine upper Cretaceous areas I search. It seems entirely possible for the hard bits of a terrestrial animal or even terrestrial plant matter to be found in such areas. I can especially see this happening for shallow inland seas. My takeaway is, essentially, finding a terrestrial specimen doesn't *guarantee* a terrestrial environment. Not sure about the converse. I suppose a bird could drop a fish far inland or something like that. Or maybe a tsunami.

Info: Craig Hyatt, retired software/electrical engineer

Experience: Beginner, fossil hunting less than a year

Location: Eagle Pass, TX USA on the border with Mexico, hot dry desert

Formation: Escondido, Marine, Upper Cretaceous

Materials: Sandstone, Mudstone, Shale, Chert, Chalk

Typical: Thalassinoides, Sphenodiscus, Exogyra, Inoceramus

Reference: http://txfossils.com/Txfossils.html

Flooding would have to be a significant source of dis articulated terrestrial bones.

Though about that one, too!

Peccary teeth have been found in the deposits of Round Mountain Silt which was an inland sea and most of the fossils found are very much similar to Calvert Cliffs. Shark teeth, Marine mammals, fish, etc. But every once in a while, terrestrial animal parts are found as well. I personally have found a peccary tooth and a gopher skull and bird bones from there. So it is very possible to find terrestrial bones in your deposits.

post-12286-0-73605500-1469979436_thumb.jpg Peccary tooth I found

post-12286-0-90698700-1469979455_thumb.jpgpost-12286-0-66609700-1469979467_thumb.jpg Just a couple of the bird bones (I have several more) from the bone bed.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

From what I've seen when you find a land mammal fossil at Calvert Cliffs, it is most often a peccary. I've seen a few peccary teeth ( I have one) and heard of others. I've heard of horse teeth.

Some others on the FB forum are saying mammal as well. One says peccary by the size, which would be really bizarre considering (1) the mammal bones you find out there are all whales and dolphins and (2) this would be the second peccary bone we've found but they were several miles and several year apart in roughly the same formation! Maybe the thing ran afoul of a giant alligator and got torn apart, but still, what are the odds?

This appears to be the distal portion of a humerus, but I don't know which animal produced it. It does not appear to be crocodilian.

post-42-0-73991000-1469997756_thumb.jpg

We can eliminate from consideration some mammal taxa, since the bone is without an entepicondylar foramen (EECF). The EECF is a canal occurs near the distal end of the humeri of many mammal taxa. In life, the EECF is traversed by the median nerve and the brachial artery.

post-42-0-51573100-1469997549_thumb.jpg

The EECF is present in didelphids (opossums) and in shrews and moles! (Micro-fossil collectors take note.)

The EECF is present in felids; in viverrids (all Old World); in amphicyonids (bear-dogs); in mustelids (weasels and skunks); and in procyonids (raccoons).

The EECF is absent in hyaenids, bears, and canids*.

An EECF is absent on the humeri of perissodactyls (horses, tapirs, et al.)

It is absent on the humeri of artiodactyls (antelopes, camels, et al.)

It is absent in lagomorphs (rabbits and related taxa).

*The bone is not from a canid since it lacks a supertrochlear foramen.

I hope you'll let us know when you have an ID.

Edited by Harry Pristis
  • I found this Informative 4

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

So, I heard from the Assistant Curator at the Calvert Marine Museum, which has quite a collection of local stuff. He says that his first thought was deer, but if it really is fossilized then most likely peccary.

• I found this Informative 1

Yeah, I determine what's humerus around here...

BAM!

That's humerus!

Case closed.

So, I heard from the Assistant Curator at the Calvert Marine Museum, which has quite a collection of local stuff. He says that his first thought was deer, but if it really is fossilized then most likely peccary.

That is a common problem at that site. Many of the bones aren't clearly mineralized fossils, but seem old enough to not really be thought of as modern.

We tried burning it when we found it because we were sure it was a modern deer bone.

We tried burning it when we found it because we were sure it was a modern deer bone.

Nice! That's I call doe diligence. ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.”

Edgar Allan Poe

Might be the place to post this:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/229367338_Early_bone_diagenesis_in_temperate_environments_Part_I_Surface_features_and_histology

And i DON 'T know where part two is :(

Her RG page is a treasure trove,BTW.

Lots on bone taphonomy,also from an archaeological/forensic viewpoint

Edited by doushantuo

They are not my best photos, but since this has created such a discussion, I posted them in my gallery for future refrence.

This bone looks nothing like a seal femur. And, it doesn't resemble a seal humerus either.

I stand corrected :wacko: Now I know it's time to quit late night surfing and get these darn cataracts removed.