Two days of grueling fun.

ynot

Great report Tony.

Happy Birthday!

I see a few rather nice Asaphiscus wheeleri in there. Also - do I see some Bolaspidella housensis in there as well?

Thanks for the report.

Glad you had a good time.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi,

Very nice and numerous finds ! Can't wait to see them prepped !

Coco

Thank You Coco. It may be a while to prep these as I do not have a air scribe.

Those are some great trilobites. If you go back you should bring one of those giant umbrellas. If you're not moving much it can help drop the temperature a little

Thank You smt126. I wish I had taken an umbrella.

Ver cool but hot. Liked the finds.

Thank You Barerootbansai.

Happy birthday, Tony! Nice gifts, those trilos :D

Thanks Roger.

Definitely made for a good day.

Nice haul, congrat. Beautiful area thanks for the added photos. Happy B day..

Thank You Troodon. I made a special effort to show the area.

Great report Tony.

Happy Birthday!

I see a few rather nice Asaphiscus wheeleri in there. Also - do I see some Bolaspidella housensis in there as well?

Thanks for the report.

Glad you had a good time.

Regards,

Thanks Tim.

Yes, I did get both of those trilo species and an Altiocculus harrisi-- I think, but trilobite identification is not one of My strong points.

Seems like a successful Trilo Trip! Nice!

Thank You Bob.

Wow, excellent report, beautiful pictures and great finds! Happy birthday :)

Thank You Angie.

Thanks again to Y'All for the kind words! :D

Tony

Edited by ynot

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I will be posting my finds in here soon, if you don't mind, Ynot. :)

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

I will be posting my finds in here soon, if you don't mind, Ynot. :)

Hey hi UFH,

I would love to see what You (and Family) found. Please feel free to post on this tread.

Tony

Hey Tony!

Sorry I couldn't make it out but looks like you did very well!

I was really hoping to make it this year, but the field season is closing quickly!

Congrats on the finds and happy birthday!

Hey Tony!

Sorry I couldn't make it out but looks like you did very well!

I was really hoping to make it this year, but the field season is closing quickly!

Congrats on the finds and happy birthday!

Thank You Blake,

Sorry You missed this trip--keep looking forward to the next one!!

Tony

Happy bday Tony : ) Great pics and finds! It sure does look like a lot of work,whew!

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Happy bday Tony : ) Great pics and finds! It sure does look like a lot of work,whew!

Thank You Jeff.

Yeh, It is nothing like screening in rivers!! :P:D But it was just as fun!! :thumbsu:

Tony

Happy birthday! Those are some awesome trilobites! I hope to take a trip to the Antelope Springs area sometime in the future.

Stephen

Happy Birthday Tony. Wooooooop!!! Wooooooop!!! Great trip report. Having been in that area many many times your report makes me want to be out there with you. But no way could I handle the heat. Looks like you found lots of fossils. What a haul! oh, wanted to mention to you, you may want to use an air abrader on those. Good luck

RB

Happy Birthday, Tony! What an amazing way to spend your birthday!!! Wonderful shots of the area, and of all the trilobites you found!!

Woo hoo!!

Happy Birthday Tony. Wooooooop!!! Wooooooop!!! Great trip report. Having been in that area many many times your report makes me want to be out there with you. But no way could I handle the heat. Looks like you found lots of fossils. What a haul! oh, wanted to mention to you, you may want to use an air abrader on those. Good luck

RB

Thank You RB.

I had a hard time with the heat also, it was hotter than It has been during My previous visits. (All at this time of Year.)

Wish that I had an air abrader. Have to do it the old school way!

Happy Birthday, Tony! What an amazing way to spend your birthday!!! Wonderful shots of the area, and of all the trilobites you found!!

Woo hoo!!

Thank You CAtoPA.

It is a magical place to be, with a lot of fossils to go with it.

Tony

Tony,

I'm glad you pointed out how much water you were drinking and being smart about taking a break and finding some shade. Some people can take 100 degree (F) heat for a while especially when in their 20's and 30's, and they think drinking a lot of water is for wimps. I always bring more water than I think at least two people can drink in a day (like one of those 35-packs of Crystal Geyser) and that's on top of the extra iced tea I'll drink. Even if I know others are bringing water and other drinks, I still bring it.

Yeah, if there is no shade, bring an umbrella or one of those canopies that one person can set up (assuming you have room in your vehicle). It's especially important if you're collecting by yourself - good that you spent time with Utahfossilhunter and his family.

The last time I collected in the Kettleman Hills was this time of year over ten years ago. It was 109 degrees when we got there. It's like Bakersfield (where I had dug earlier in the day) with no trees but there are some rock outcrops in spots that can give you some shade by mid-afternoon. Sometimes, you collect fossil when you can even in the desert in the summer. Chevron stopped allowing collecting on their property not long after that so I was happy I got in one more trip. Not sure I can still take that kind of heat for that long.

Jess

Another picture of the road in...

attachicon.gifDSCF4843.JPG

I arrived at My chosen site, which is about 100 yards down hill from the "udig" fossil farm.

I started to walk around and look for a good area to dig and look for trilobites.

By 10 in the morning it was getting hot and after 20 minutes of walking I had to seek out some shade.

And a nice natural "bonsai" tree.

attachicon.gifDSCF4845.JPG

By noon it was scorching, and I had to stop and cool in the shade of the little trees. I was spending as much time in the shade as I was out looking for a place to dig. I had already drank a gallon of ice water.

more...

I was wondering what people are using these days to prep those. Air abrader makes sense. One dealer said they took steel wool to them in the old days. I used to see several flats of the Elrathia at shows but those Utah guys have passed away (Bob Harris, Loy Crapo, etc. - good guys too) so you don't see the quantity anymore and they're more expensive.

RB

Thank You Jess.

I went trough 2.5 gallons of water on each day along with several bottles of gatorade. I freeze gallon jugs and use them to cool My ice chests, then drink when needed. I always take enough water to last at least 2 days more than I am planning to be out in the desert.

I prep them the old school way -- with a dental pick. (Need to get one of the more modern contrivances.) When I was out there in 1990 for My first visit I meet an old timer there. He told Me that He used a wire brush.

Tony