Mazon Creek Flora

Nimravis

Very nice specimens. Do you prepare these yourself? They look great.

Tim- there is really not much preparation on these- years ago i would have to clean up some plant fossils, but that was about it- I do have many that are not as nice looking.

• I found this Informative 1

Very nice variety. Thanks for sharing these beauties with us.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Daniel- The short answer is no. The vast majority of the of the areas in and around the Nuclear Power plant are very overgrown with vegetation and thus, concretions do not get exposed as they did years ago. This area is the famed Pit 11, there are islands within the "cooling lakes" that you can take small "bass type" boats and you would have better success. In and around this area are private hunting / fishing clubs that also contain fossils, but you need to be a member or know one to gain legal access. Other areas, like Pit 4 (also called Shadow Lakes) is a private home facility so Acess there is not available unless you know someone. There is a shaft mine in the city of Braceville, that I collected for years, is still accessible, I believe twice a year , to a local rock / fossil club. And then there is Mazon Creek itself, unfortunately it runs threw private land and without access from the land owner it is a no go. I know I make it sound all doom and gloom, but that is not the case. Even though you will not find the vast amount of "perfect" concretions as in the past, with patience and a good eye you will find concretions and hopefully it will contain something great. Hope that answered your question. Take care.

Hi. Thanks for your help.

Daniel

• 2 years later...

Awesome! Thanks for the tour. Great photos and well presented. I'm feeling somewhat motivated now to photograph my collection and post it on this forum. It will take some time. Close to 600 specimens, 98% of it flora, and my current state of health limits my physical endurance. It's hard to lift rocks at this point.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!