Neovenator tooth?

Goldkaiser

I have seen this item pop up on everybodies favourite auction site and it is stated to be a Neovenator tooth. The tooth itself is missing the tip and looks to have a few cracks. I have requested more photographs from the seller before I decide to bid I was hoping someone would be able also confirm or deny if this is indeed a Neovenator tooth or at least a theropod tooth from the Isle of Wight.post-18741-0-71232000-1470292749_thumb.pngpost-18741-0-10846300-1470292758_thumb.pngpost-18741-0-31941500-1470292765_thumb.png

With the photos provided there is no way to even hope for ID. You need to see the serrations on both edges to even fathom a guess. Having said that I think even if you see better images an ID is going to be difficult since I don't think there is nothing diagnostic about a Neovenator tooth, may be wrong. There are other theropods found at this locality and new ones yet to be discovered.

All theropod material from this locality is super cool, very rare and great to have in a collection. I would bid on it for that reason and label it theropod indet. I would go out on the limb and say that most rare theropod SPECIES teeth that collectors think they have in their collections is most likely misidentified unless there is something diagnostic about the morphology of that tooth.

• I found this Informative 3