WE found the stone on the beach

dolphion70

Hello to all
During a trip in Greek
WE found the stone on the beach

What you see in the picture. It could be a fossil ?if it were a fossil can be dated ? I looked at the stone with the stereo microscope and do not seem tunnels .
are two faces of the same stone

you can help me understand what it is

post-22138-0-48212500-1470327791_thumb.jpg

post-22138-0-07131000-1470327796_thumb.jpg

As I am unfamiliar with the geology of Greece, this is only a suggestion. The tabulate coral Halysites of Ordovician-Silurian age can look similar to what you have here.

• I found this Informative 1

Still a cool piece. It would have come home with me too. :)

Context is critical.

I am in the sponge camp. Cool find !

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I'm thinking that this may possibly be a weathered Halysites. The chain like appearance definitely stands out here. I've found a few like this with only a a couple of the "chain links" visable like this stone you have. Nice find!

Edited by andyrice11

I try to summarize: it could be a fossil (more likely) or a sponge or a coral. it's correct?

Edited by dolphion70

In my opinion it is a pebble with borings, probably Trypanites. In the cyclostome bryozoan theory they should be on the surface, encrusting the hardground, which I don't see in your pictures. Here is an interesting link (I think) showing the difference between these two : http://drydredgers.org/fieldtrips/trip201405p1.htm

Also, the resemblance with Jessica Winder's specimen (post #3) looks very good, to me.

post-17588-0-09857100-1470604296_thumb.jpgpost-17588-0-96300600-1470604241_thumb.jpg

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 5 months later...

Hello from Greece!

In my opinion this is a pebble with borings from lithophaga or similar. They are very common in all Aegean sea beaches throughout Greece.