Arlonian

Trip to Cowboy Canyon

Arlonian

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to the forum and to hunting. I am fortunate to find myself in Utah for the summer and have been wanting to get down to Bonanza to look for some leaves. A little intimidated though to just go wander out into the desert. I think, through pouring over a couple geo maps, that I have found a couple spots around cowboy canyon (a popular collecting site from what I can tell), but I am still unclear on if I found a good spot and what to do when I get there. Is anyone planning any trips to the area that I can tag along with, or have any tips? Anything is appreciated, thanks!

Ian

p.s. if anyone is a mountain biker, let me know could be a fun weekend of riding and collecting!

Edited by Arlonian

Arlonian

Yeah, I had checked that thread out and I have somewhat of an idea of where to go. This will just be my first time digging outside of a quarry or sifting through creekbeds, so I'm not entirely clear on finding a good spot to dig once I'm out there, or good etiquette if I have to clear overburden etc.

jpc

Good spots are easy to find. Look for places where others have dug, and expand on their holes. Warning... It can be a lot of hardcwork, and august will not be anything resembling cool down there.

Arlonian

Got down there for the evening yesterday. Thanks for the info, it was certainly easy enough to find good spots! Got a couple good leaves just by turning over the tailings. A bunch of scorpions hiding out in the rocks.

ynot

Got down there for the evening yesterday. Thanks for the info, it was certainly easy enough to find good spots! Got a couple good leaves just by turning over the tailings. A bunch of scorpions hiding out in the rocks.

Pictures?

Tony

caldigger

Yep, no fair talking about it with out something to show. Just waiting on the pics. How long are you going to be out there?

CraigHyatt

You can always go to U-Dig fossils and get lots of trilobites. I went there a couple of times when we lived in West Jordan. It's pay to play, but you'll get a lot for your money.

Arlonian

Here are a couple of pictures! Nothing spectacular, but a couple cool little leaves. I think I may try to spend a whole day out there sometime in the next week. I'll be in vernal until August 27th, then it's back to Montana! If anyone wants to dig, let me know!

I haven't been to u-dig yet, I did a day at ulrich's a couple of months back, and that was fun. It was pretty wet, so not too many high quality finds.

post-21474-0-57240600-1471537436_thumb.jpgpost-21474-0-78143600-1471539756_thumb.jpgpost-21474-0-65841300-1471539838_thumb.jpg

Shamalama

Pretty nice specimens. That lacy one in the second pic may turn out to be complete if you can pop the rest of the shale off the top of it. :wub:

I'm headed to Douglas Pass next week to do some collecting in the same formation. Someday I will get to Utah and collect near Bonanza and Cowboy Canyon. I have seen pictures of huge slabs people have pulled up with leaves all over them. That is a bucket list item for me to find, a slab with a big Macginitiea wyomingensis leaf on it in perfect condition. :)