kettenthefossilcat

I'm always looking for new spots in the Gainesville/Alachua county so I don't deplete or cause repeat damage to my favorite areas in Ring Park. I heard a passing rumor that the walls of Devil's Millhopper have various shark teeth and bones embedded in the soil. Does anyone know if this is true? I'm ashamed to say that although I practicly live right next to it, I haven't been to the Devil's Millhopper in years, well before my fossil hunting craze.

I'm also wondering if, in the case that there ARE teeth in the walls, people allowed to remove them? I understand the instability of sinkhole walls and don't want to cause a problem in the park.

They may but I don't believe that you can collect them. Besides the steps are the only place you can get close enough to see the walls which are overgrown with foliage and snakes. I almost was bitten by a cottonmouth pointing at a rock in the wall. Luckily a park ranger pulled my arm back.

Deborah is correct on this one--the millhopper is strictly a look but don't touch kind of site (especially if it involves cottonmouths--Yikes!)

If you live in the Gainesville area and are looking for other places to indulge your passion for digging up fossils, I'd suggest volunteering for one of the FLMNH digs that they hold during the spring months. Each year they spend some time at the Thomas Farm site and at a new private site which has been producing some wondrous fossils. Of course, you get the fun (privilege) of being able to dig in a world-class site but all of your finds end up in the museum's collection (not that that is a bad thing at all). For me, it is the thrill of discovery and the fossils are merely a reminder of fun times had in the field.

PM me if you want to know more about volunteer opportunities at the FLMNH.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Yes they all are right Devils millhopper is a no go. I can show you a few spots now I am back from Japan. Send me a pm if your interested

Thanks for the information and warnings everyone! I figured that Millhopper wouldn't want me picking out teeth from the walls. I'll try the creek behind my house for now, hoping that it might yield a find or two. :3 Thank you all!