Amber party

Phacopsguy

• 2 weeks later...

Yes make jewelry!! I've polished several and mine was a little brittle so be careful with the polishing and heat..

Enjoy and good luck!!

ive gone through some so far nothing :mellow:

I've gone through 50 pieces and not found anything...then 'bingo'. Our stuff is small and brittle so it takes time under the microscope looking at different angles.

• 5 months later...

Sorry to bump a post from a ways back, hope you guys don't mind!  Anyway, I am new to amber (a long long time admirer, though), and I just wanted to say this looks like such fun!  Like a treasure hunt.  Did you go out and find the rough amber yourself or buy online?  I think it's something I might enjoy trying myself.  Does anyone care to advise on good sources to buy the rough amber?  Or proper polishing techniques to bring out the beauty?  I was recently gifted a lovely piece of amber (though I believe now it is probably copal, still much appreciated though) with lots of interesting things going on in it.  I was so intrigued that I couldn't stop looking at it all day!  They should have saved the gift for the end of the work day, who can concentrate on work!  Anyway, it has reignited my interest and i'm very excited to research, look at, and collect more amber (and copal) with plants and insects inside.  

Archived