August 2016 Finds Of The Month

JohnJ

Here is the slab of sandstone showing the hash plate on the surface and a few of the trilobites exposed deeper in the sandstone.post-12553-0-70560200-1471954857_thumb.jpg

Edited by minnbuckeye

I want to participate with this part of a jaw. Its a fish jaw with four teeth, probably Dapedium.

I found it on August 21, 2016 in the quarry Kromer in Holzmaden (Germany), Early Toarcian (Lower Jurassic).

The whole stone is 13.6 cm long, the jaw is 1.2 cm long and the biggest tooth is 0.6 cm long.

So its a very small find, but for me a very spectacular find :)

post-19413-0-37511400-1471958650_thumb.jpg

Detailed pictures:

post-19413-0-31035200-1471958659_thumb.jpg

post-19413-0-91392000-1471958663_thumb.jpg

Edited by belemniten

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

This is my first attempt at posting an entry for fossil of the month. My find began a month ago when a fellow Fossil Forum member asked for donated partial specimens of trilobites from the Cambrian period. I knew of a half a dozen places that I had not hunted in a few years ( due to the fragile nature of the fossils in a soft sandstone) that would fit his request. These sites are loaded with cephalons and pygidiums but never (I thought) whole trilobites. So the next time I went fishing on the Mississippi River, I quit early to take the time to slip into Wisconsin to collect for this individual. After about an hour of gathering, I had a 5 gallon pail full of sandstone and headed home to fillet the walleye and prep the fossils. The specimens (the trilobites, not the fish) were laid out, allowed to dry before a light coat of preservative was used to coat them to prevent them from crumbling into a pile of sand. Once preserved, I began to break away the better cephalons and pygidiums of the common Cedaria woosteri. To my amazement, when I started working one piece of sandstone that had a hash plate of trilobite parts on its surface, a trilobite that appeared to be complete was peaking out of the deeper matrix. To make a long story shorter, 13 complete to almost complete trilobites were extracted from a single block of sandstone! Thanks to the work of Piranah, My trilobites has been identified. attachicon.gifDSC_0411.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_0410.JPGattachicon.gifDSC_0409.JPG

Well as Gomer Pyle would say...Surprise, surprise, surprise!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Hi. Here's my Vertebrate entry. It's an Upper Carboniferous shark tooth from Cumbria, UK.

Xenacanthus sp

Upper Carboniferous

Pennine Middle Coal Measures formation- 312 million years old

Cumbria, UK

4.5mm from the bottom of the tooth to the tip.

Found Friday, 19th of August 2016

post-21610-0-67011900-1472034840_thumb.jpg

post-21610-0-70036300-1472121340_thumb.jpg

Edited by Strepsodus

Protosphyraena Fish Skull

North Central Texas- U.S.

Late Cretaceous- 85-90 mya

Atco Formation- Austin Group

8-17-16

post-13580-0-46497000-1472152438_thumb.jpeg

post-13580-0-94419100-1472152446_thumb.jpeg

post-13580-0-31333800-1472152470_thumb.jpeg

post-13580-0-88981400-1472152480_thumb.jpeg

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

Man now this month is uber tough. Wow.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

This is my Goniatite for the month of August: found the 2nd of august and  prepped this week:

Kevin H..jpg

Association of Manticoceras and Orthoceras, Late Devonian ( Frasnian ) Lompret ( Belgium )

Edited by JohnJ
(contest photo uploaded to TFF)
  • I found this Informative 1

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Found 7/8/16 (or 8/7/16, August 7th!).

It's a big male Diprotodon Optatum partial lower jaw.

Pleistocene

Australia.

Front view where the incisor should be:

Ash 1.jpg

Sides: 

Ash 2.jpg

Ash 3.jpg

Top with my thumb beside the teeth for size:

Ash 4.jpg

Edited by JohnJ
(contest photos uploaded to TFF)

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Invertebrate

C.percarinatum2.jpgC.percarinatum.jpg

Collignoniceras percarinatum

Upper Cretaceous (Turonian) Carlile member of the Mancos Shale

Discovered: August 30th, 2016

New Mexico, USA

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Hi.  Here's my plant entry.  It's a piece of mudstone which contains one large plant, which I think is Mariopteris sp, a smaller plant and many other small plant fragments.  It comes from the Pennine Lower Coal Measures formation (Upper Carboniferous.)  I found it in Offerton, near Manchester, UK on the 27th of August. 

Daniel

image.jpgimage.jpg

59 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

That was easy the find of the day when we went to Offerton Daniel. Im glad you entered it!

Thanks.  At first I thought it was Alethopteris sp but I think it's Mariopteris sp which seems to be rarer.

thanks,

Daniel

Here is my favorite find from last week's dig. It's a partial frontal plate from the skull of a very small crocodilian. It was found in the Hell Creek Formation float, Slope County, North Dakota, on the 26th. It measures approximately 2" x 1". The paleontologists I worked with in this area aren't sure if it is from a juvenile or if there is yet unidentified species of small crocodilians. I was collecting on public lands for the ND Geological Survey, so this is the only picture I have. What I think is interesting is that quite a bit of the eye orbit edges is intact. 

Day4-Site-Survey-Partial-Croc-Skull.JPG

Just getting this entry in under the wire, but I've been traveling and having trouble logging in with my obsolete laptop using hotel wifi...

Here's my entry for vertebrate fossil of the month: an Allosaurus (?) tooth from Como Bluff, Albany County, Wyoming.   Morrison Formation, Upper Jurassic.

20160826_110638.jpg

20160826_110626.jpg

20160826_110716.jpg

I found this specimen on August 25, 2016, while on a Tate Museum dig.  Because I found this specimen while prospecting (walking around looking for additional possible sites near the quarry we'd been working on all week) and because this tooth was not associated with any other fossil material, I was allowed to keep this for my own collection, instead of handing it over to the museum.

And true confession time: most of my collecting is done in the Devonian, back home in New York, and nearly all of the collection where I volunteer at PRI is invertebrate material, so I really have invertebrates on my mind.  So...I was walking around and I noticed the shape of this specimen sitting on the surface among a bunch of pebbles, dark side up, and I thought to myself, "ooooh, that looks like a freshwater mussel!"  Then I picked it up and noticed it was something very different!  B)

Good find—the Tate Museum in Casper, WY, sponsors Como Bluff digs that are something that everyone should save up for and put on their bucket list. They are reasonably priced and a great value for what you get for the week.  The Tate staff and their volunteers are very helpful and everyone is so friendly.  Some of my best memories are of the Tate week-long digs in the NE Wyoming Lance formation and at Como Bluff.

Hey.. I recognize that Allosaurus (?) tooth.  Tanks for the plug, Bruce.  For those still paying attention, feel free to PM me for more details about Tate Museum digs.  

Hi everyone!

I am entering a Triceratops Horridus horn I found in Carter County, Montana in the Hell Creek formation! I found it on July 28th with the landowners permission. I spent all of August prepping it, and am still not completely done! I'm so excited about it. It's probably the coolest thing I've ever found. It also has a really interesting divet on one side that looks like it may have been caused by another triceratops?

Best,

Lauren

IMG_6605.JPG

IMG_6606.JPG

IMG_6608.JPG

IMG_6607.JPG

IMG_6609.JPG

IMG_6610.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

"I am a part of all that I have met." - Lord Alfred Tennyson

• JohnJ locked this topic