Fossil or bone?

Juki262

This was found in a small box of rocks I bought at an estate sale. After looking at it, I thought it was not a rock but some kind of bone or fossil. I have no idea where it came from. Any ideas what it is?

Thanks, Juki

post-22165-0-50943100-1470507831_thumb.jpg

post-22165-0-43714900-1470507966_thumb.jpg

post-22165-0-01582800-1470507986_thumb.jpg

post-22165-0-48062900-1470508067_thumb.jpg

Hi Juki!

Welcome to TFF!

I'm new to fossil-hunting, too, so I can't say for sure what you have, but it looks like a cephalopod fossil to me. In fact, it looks similar to an orthocone cephalopod I found here in the Toronto area last weekend - see the picture below:

post-22019-0-68650700-1470516965_thumb.jpg

FYI - The bedrock here in the Toronto area is Upper/Late Ordovician, so that might help you date your specimen.

The "back" of your specimen does look a bit wierd, though - my specimen is similarly segmented all the way around whereas the segmentation in yours isn't consistent. So, maybe you have something else? Let's wait and see what the others say...

Good luck!

Monica

Edited by Monica

I think cone too. If it were a cephalopod I think it would have segments going all the way through, this isn't evident on the first picture lower middle. :)

Hi John!

I think it's just a case of me seeing orthocone cephalopods everywhere - I found one last weekend and today I found a bunch! They're haunting me... :)

Still no trilobite, though :( I'll have to keep on looking - hopefully I'll find one soon...

Monica

Keep looking Monica, you will find one! :)

Thanks for the encouragement, John - I will keep looking for a local trilobite and I WILL find one (think positive thoughts, think positive thoughts,...) :)

Monica