Belated trip report for St. Paul Quarry

Shamalama

awesome finds Dave! That was a good trip..love the little rollers and the huge gastropods!

Thanks Jim!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

A lot of Hall's taxonomy from the late 1800's has been revised. There are only 2 dalmanitids from the Waldron Shale: Dalmanites halli & Glyptambon verrucosus. There is only one fragmentary specimen of D. bicornis. That holotype is lost and no other examples of D. bicornis have been described since Hall 1877.

The genus Glyptambon was established by Holloway 1981.

Holloway, D.J. (1981)
Silurian Dalmanitacean trilobites from North America and the origins of the Dalmanitinae and Synphoriinae.
Palaeontology, 24(4):695-731

Here are the comments from Delo 1940 on D. bicornis and the synonymy of D. vigilans.

Dalmanites bicornis: This species is incompletely known. The holotype is the subcephalic margin of a cephalon and bears an anterior process consisting of a short stout base and two stout, sharply pointed processes diverging at right angles. Larger fragments of the species have not been found. The location of the type is unknown.

Dalmanites vigilans: The name Dalmanites halli was proposed by Weller as a substitute for the “D. vigilans” described by Hall from the Waldron area. Hall had originally described D. vigilans from the Niagaran limestone and later referred the Waldron specimens to it.
Delo, D.M. (1940)
Phacopid trilobites of North America.
Geological Society of America Special Paper, 29:1-134

Thankc Scott. You are a valuable resource on all things Trilobitish as always. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I love how the quarry changes so drastically year to year. This is the first year I haven't hunted this quarry since I've joined the forum.(Yes it saddens me)

Wonderful Dalmanites sp. pygidium. The Waldron contains 3 different species.

D.vigilans, D.verrucosus, and D.bicornis.

The gastropods look like Platyostoma niagarense.

A good resource to use for the Waldron is:

"Descriptions of the Species of Fossils in the Niagara Group at Waldron, Indiana"

By Prof. James Hall, State Geologist of New York.

I actually have a hard copy from 1918ish. You can smell the yummy age. I plan on scanning it in the very near future and posting some plates for identification purposes. Sounds like you had a great time.

Best regards,

Paul

Edit: Added image

attachicon.gif20160807_091714_resized.jpg

Ha! I found the plates: https://scholarworks.iu.edu/dspace/handle/2022/14459

And if you want the whole report that the text and plates originate from: https://scholarworks.iu.edu/dspace/handle/2022/3306

-Dave

Well I hope you atleast beeped and waved as you went past me Dave, lol..did you come through via I-76 & I-70? Awesome trip...I need to get my butt back out there busting up some OH rocks, I've been slacking since I moved here.

Another A+ trip report, Dave; thank you!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Another A+ trip report, Dave; thank you!

Thanks Chaz, good to see you back on the forum again. :)

Well I hope you atleast beeped and waved as you went past me Dave, lol..did you come through via I-76 & I-70? Awesome trip...I need to get my butt back out there busting up some OH rocks, I've been slacking since I moved here.

Sue! You are among all those fossiliferous rocks and they aren't even bent and twisted up like the PA rocks. You gotta get out there. :)

Nice finds and report.

Thanks for sharing!

Tony

Thanks Tony!

-Dave

Archived