University of Manchester Fossil Collection

OlivierStaub

Hello everyone

I'm a computer student at the university of manchester. For my master project I've been working with David Gelsthorpe who is the curator of Earth Science Collections of the museum of Manchester. The aim of my project is to promote the not displayed fossil collection using a web application.
The app is being constantly curated with more fossils, at the moment about a thousand of them are being plotted on a dynamic map.

So there you have it, a free tour in a none displayed collection

https://natureslibrary.co.uk/map

Please feel free to come and explore the collection.

the other aim of this project is to understand who do people make discoveries by exploring a dataset. On the web application you'll find a tool allowing you to share comments about what you are exploring. Who knows, you'll may discover something really interesting about the collection and want to share it with the Museum !

Cheers, Olivier

Edited by Fossildude19
  • I found this Informative 1

Welcome to TFF :yay-smiley-1: Olivier!

Very good idea and fantastic project :goodjob: !

Regards,

Edited by Guguita2104

Hi ! thanks for the feedback !

I don't seem to be able to edit my post again

Here is the link

https://natureslibrary.co.uk/map

Cheers :)

Now that is a fantastic idea and resource Olivier! I hope to go to Aust and Offerton this month with two different forum members so hope to add to it. Have a look at the link in my signature too.

Crashed my PC within a minute of using it. Trying to get detail on Hamburg NewYork Fossil. Windows 10, Explorer 11, current Java

Now that is a fantastic idea and resource Olivier! I hope to go to Aust and Offerton this month with two different forum members so hope to add to it. Have a look at the link in my signature too.

Thanks John, Hope you guys will find interesting stuff on the map !

Crashed my PC within a minute of using it. Trying to get detail on Hamburg NewYork Fossil. Windows 10, Explorer 11, current Java

Sorry to here that, I'll test it more carrefully on my side

Worked for me Malcolm on my iPad that's not to say it won't work on my PC running Windows 10 tho.

Great idea! Thing is, practically all I could find were corals, even though I set it for all genera and all collectors. Did I do something wrong?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Worked for me Malcolm on my iPad that's not to say it won't work on my PC running Windows 10 tho.

I have been testing it on mobile devices

Tablets should definitely be fine but phones I don't garantee, the site loads a lot of data

Great idea! Thing is, practically all I could find were corals, even though I set it for all genera and all collectors. Did I do something wrong?

Hi Ludwigia

No that's normal, for now only this part of the collection is being digitized, the rest of it should follow, they will be added overtime

• 5 weeks later...