Found this online. The seller claims it's an oreodont brain cast (with one end broken off). Was collected from White River Formation, South Dakota. It does to similar to an endocast.

post-19715-0-85094700-1470702891_thumb.jpeg

"Fossils have richer stories to tell about the lub-dub of dinosaur life than we have been willing to listen to." - Robert T. Bakker

Hi :D !

Just a rock or a weathered fossil shell steinkern (I can't tell you from the photos), sorry. Soft tissue preservation on that cases is EXTREMELY rare.

Regards,

Quick someone call the scarecrow!

And make sure to tell him to be more specific next time ;)

Oreodont brain casts are somewhat common fossils.

It looks like one to me.

The brains soft tissue was replaced with sediment and hardened.

I have no idea if the fossil offered is legitimate but...

nice rock

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Oreodont brain casts are somewhat common fossils.

It looks like one to me.

The brains soft tissue was replaced with sediment and hardened.

I have no idea if the fossil offered is legitimate but...

It is not a cast of the brain as it does not show any of the crenulations of the outside of the brain. It however may be a mold of the interior of the braincase (after the brain has rotted away) that shows the features on the inside of the skull. In other words... fill a human skull with sediment and let it harden. The interior mold of the skull does not look much like a human brain.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

The ridicule is certainly unwarranted. It looks remarkably similar to this oreodont endocast.

IMG1.jpg

figure from:

Macrini, T. E. (2009)

Description of a digital cranial endocast of Bathygenys reevesi (Merycoidodontidae; Oreodontoidea) and implications for apomorphy-based diagnosis of isolated, natural endocasts.

Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, 29(4):1199-1211

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I agree it's looks like the real deal, thanks for pointing that out. Removed my comment from the post.

The ridicule is certainly unwarranted. It looks remarkably similar to this oreodont endocast.

attachicon.gifIMG1.jpg

figure from:

Macrini, T. E. (2009)

Description of a digital cranial endocast of Bathygenys reevesi (Merycoidodontidae; Oreodontoidea) and implications for apomorphy-based diagnosis of isolated, natural endocasts.

Considering the end is broken off. It does look like an oreodont endocast.

"Fossils have richer stories to tell about the lub-dub of dinosaur life than we have been willing to listen to." - Robert T. Bakker

attachicon.gifIMG1.jpg

figure from:

Macrini, T. E. (2009)

I mean no ridicule. An "cranial endocast" is an interior mold of the cranium. A cranium is the skull and not the brain. Thus the rock is a fossil of the cranium. Nearly all infillings of animal skulls are interior molds of a skulls (AKA endocasts). A cranial endocast gives clues as to the dimensions of the brain but is not a fossilized or petrified brain. Similarly a clam steinkern is not a cast of the clams internal organs, it is a mold made against the interior of the shell.

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Yes, very likely a White River brain cast, albeit rather worn. Whether it is oreodont or not is tougher to confirm... There are several other animals found there that are the same size, but oreos are the most common.

Just WOW! it never entered my 'brain' to even think there are cranial endocast out in the fossil world! This is a very cool thread.

RB

Considering the fact that this fossil is being sold as a fossil brain (and thus exhibiting soft tissue preservation), I’d say that the ridicule is well warranted. There a big difference between a fossil brain and an endocast, a difference which the seller conveniently ignores in order to attract buyers that otherwise might not be tempted to drop 50$.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.”

Edgar Allan Poe

Considering the fact that this fossil is being sold as a fossil brain (and thus exhibiting soft tissue preservation), I’d say that the ridicule is well warranted. There a big difference between a fossil brain and an endocast, a difference which the seller conveniently ignores in order to attract buyers that otherwise might not be tempted to drop 50$.

Education is warranted...ridicule is not the purpose of this sub-forum. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

A brain, now that IS cool. Whoda thought. I want one now.

Me too. Mine needs some backup. ;-)

Info: Craig Hyatt, retired software/electrical engineer

Experience: Beginner, fossil hunting less than a year

Location: Eagle Pass, TX USA on the border with Mexico, hot dry desert

Formation: Escondido, Marine, Upper Cretaceous

Materials: Sandstone, Mudstone, Shale, Chert, Chalk

Typical: Thalassinoides, Sphenodiscus, Exogyra, Inoceramus

Reference: http://txfossils.com/Txfossils.html

On 8/9/2016 at 11:51 AM, MarcusFossils said:

I wasn't looking for a debate on semantics. Without any supporting evidence, it was unfair to make fun of a legitimate fossil.

The seller's intent was not to mislead anyone. Although the auction title uses the word brain, the item description states:

"Here's a real treasure- a fossil brain cast of an Oreodont from the Oligocene period."

It's unfair to assume the seller 'conveniently ignores' anything. It's not a crime to use a sensational headline to attract attention.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I wasn't looking for a debate on semantics. Without any supporting evidence, it was unfair to make fun of a legitimate fossil.

The seller's intent was not to mislead anyone. Although the auction title uses the word brain, the item description states:

"Here's a real treasure- a fossil brain cast of an Oreodont from the Oligocene period."

It's unfair to assume the seller 'conveniently ignores' anything. It's not a crime to use a sensational headline to attract attention.

There is much confusion in both the lay and sometimes the professional paleontology community as to the proper definitions of cast, mold and endocast. I wish that the term "endocast" had never been invented because of the confusion that it causes. An endocast is a term of art that means: an interior mold of the braincase or skull. A brain cast in not a synonym of an endocast even though they look similar. I agree that we should not be overly critical of the seller. Hopefully the seller and the buyers know that it is not the actual fossilized brain. Someone could educate the seller about the difference. After all, we at the Fossil Forum try to civilly argue points and educate others without harsh criticism or confrontation.

Archived