Fake? Dinosaur Eggs For Sale

Trilobiting

Found these online. I suspect they're fakes.

Beware. Not surprising if they are fake, besides, they're from China. (not saying that all fossils being sold from China are fake.)

post-19715-0-97817400-1470856658_thumb.jpeg

post-19715-0-24433300-1470856669_thumb.jpeg

post-19715-0-41465700-1470856679_thumb.jpeg

post-19715-0-17149800-1470856689_thumb.jpeg

post-19715-0-74176000-1470856701_thumb.jpeg

"Fossils have richer stories to tell about the lub-dub of dinosaur life than we have been willing to listen to." - Robert T. Bakker

Yes fake, same seller on a couple of them. A couple look like they are using modern eggs or something to show fractures and added the base, nice touch.

post-10935-0-47398100-1470858359_thumb.jpg

This just makes me sad.

Info: Craig Hyatt, retired software/electrical engineer

Experience: Beginner, fossil hunting less than a year

Location: Eagle Pass, TX USA on the border with Mexico, hot dry desert

Formation: Escondido, Marine, Upper Cretaceous

Materials: Sandstone, Mudstone, Shale, Chert, Chalk

Typical: Thalassinoides, Sphenodiscus, Exogyra, Inoceramus

Reference: http://txfossils.com/Txfossils.html

To all members and guests. If anyone is interested in purchasing dinosaur eggs please get input before you buy, the fakes are real good. There are lots of experienced members in this forum that can help you in that purchase decision. We want everyone to be a happy egg collector.

As a rule-of-thumb, if the seller is offering a side of hashbrowns and a strip of bacon with your egg order, be suspicious.

As a rule-of-thumb, if the seller is offering a side of hashbrowns and a strip of bacon with your egg order, be suspicious.

So the bacon is a lie? That's just wrong...

...I'm back.

These eggs are coming out of Hong Kong and they are addressing the ban on exports with the following statement.

"This egg was chosen from many to be included in a private collection purchased in the 80's before the ban on fossil exports so it is fully legal to be owned and acquired"

post-10935-0-46035800-1471112642_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-44193700-1471112654_thumb.jpg

It amazes me how all these fake eggs have multiple bids on them yet the few real ones have no bids at all. I think its the same people with multiple accounts bidding to make them look like they're selling to loure people in.

You don't need to be suspicious if it is wrapped in salad (in the french meaning salade = tangle) because you yet know it is muddle.

A month ago bought trilobites to a seller in a fossils and minerals trade fair. He showed me photos of moroccans fakes jaws of crocodiles : all were completes, they laid in the same position, had the same size. Some of the teeth were in plaster, others were fish teeth, a real mess.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Nope not an egg but had to show this beautiful Chinese pterosaur for sale. A one off at a bargin price of $900...from the triassic to cretaceous period, wow. The detail is special. you have to love that skull.

post-10935-0-16190800-1471285056_thumb.jpg

Yeah, that's a bad one! There's another up that's only slightly better listed at around 5 grand! I see this line in a lot of these type items, and I think it's telling...

"A unique piece of cutting shape."

Nope not an egg but had to show this beautiful Chinese pterosaur for sale. A one off at a bargin price of $900...from the triassic to cretaceous period, wow. The detail is special. you have to love that skull.

attachicon.gifs-l1600 (1).jpg

Wow ! :rofl::rofl:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Yes it's unbelievable.

It like something a child would cutout an paste on a hardboard but they would not fetch that kind of money.

• 5 months later...

Hello. I am completely uneducated on the topic of dinosaur eggs and found your site precisely as I was tempted to purchase one of these fake eggs on ebay. Where would you recommend I look for real ones and what price range can I expect?

For the background: my dad has been regretting all his life not to purchase a dinosaur egg when he was offered one. He is now 80 and I would love to surprise him for his birthday :-)

1 minute ago, Lolo said:

Hello. I am completely uneducated on the topic of dinosaur eggs and found your site precisely as I was tempted to purchase one of these fake eggs on ebay. Where would you recommend I look for real ones and what price range can I expect?

For the background: my dad has been regretting all his life not to purchase a dinosaur egg when he was offered one. He is now 80 and I would love to surprise him for his birthday :-)

It would be better if members wanting to help could send you a PM (private message) with their recommendations.  It will be easier to discuss commercial details not allowed on the open forums.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

On 1/20/2017 at 8:25 PM, Lolo said:

Welcome to :tff:

Do a search on this site -- there are several good threads about that.

@Troodon or @HamptonsDoc may be able to help.

This is a good thread to look at...

Good luck!

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Archived