Dinosaur forelimb and footprint track?

Fossil Claw

I have heard of and seen plenty of dinosaur rear limb foot prints. I have never heard of a preserved forelimb print and and footprint on the same matrix.

These look real enough but having never heard of or seen a forelimb print I want to make sure before I make an offer.

thank you.

post-16815-0-25696100-1470911123_thumb.jpg

I saw that the other day, Dom.

It's legit. Here is a plate from Richard Swan Lull's "Triassic Life of the Connecticut Valley"

Only one of many plates that show pes/manus imprints.

Prints.jpg

Go for it. ;)

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice! I will put in and offer. I have a couple rear footprints but no forelimb prints.

Thank you.

It's an interesting piece. I don't know anything about dinosaur prints like that but I know kangaroos and they certainly produce tracks like that when they are walking and not hopping, they put both front paws down on the ground in front of them and their tail on the ground behind them for balance then swing their back legs forward and repeat the process to move forward. I wonder if some dinosaurs used the same way of moving forward when not in a hurry. I understand their hips would have worked differently from a roo but they both had/have short front arms and longer rear legs. Who knows!

Well so much for that. Shortly after I posted it here someone bought it after it being up for days on the auction site. I always hesitate to post for id here because often someone buys it right away.

Coincidence or people see it here and run over and buy? Seems to happen 75% of the time I post here for ID even on items that have been up for auction for weeks.

That's really bad luck ,FC.People might indeed use this site as a resource.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Commiserations.

Edited by doushantuo

Well so much for that. Shortly after I posted it here someone bought it after it being up for days on the auction site. I always hesitate to post for id here because often someone buys it right away.

Coincidence or people see it here and run over and buy? Seems to happen 75% of the time I post here for ID even on items that have been up for auction for weeks.

I admit I get worried posting things on other forums because someone may try and snag it from under you. But I guess sometimes ya gotta do it and hope for the best! Hopefully no one here saw it in your post and bought it on you.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

It's unfortunate but I would still think it's appropriate to post here and insure what you're looking at is real. If you're concerned on future dinosaur material don't hesitate to PM me for an opinion.

• I found this Informative 1

I'm sorry that happened to you, Fossil Claw. :(. I would think those on this forum would have enough respect for each other not to purchase a fossil that another member was interested in purchasing and posted as such. However there are those who are not members who can visit the forum. That being said, I think it's still a good idea to post for opinions, but I agree with Troodon that it is less risky to send a PM to members whose opinions you value the most.

I'm sorry that happened to you, Fossil Claw. :(. I would think those on this forum would have enough respect for each other not to purchase a fossil that another member was interested in purchasing and posted as such. However there are those who are not members who can visit the forum. That being said, I think it's still a good idea to post for opinions, but I agree with Troodon that it is less risky to send a PM to members whose opinions you value the most.

Well, I wouldn't discount those hundreds of "guests" we have viewing at any given moment. ;)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Well, I wouldn't discount those hundreds of "guests" we have viewing at any given moment. ;)

that was my concern. the members here are good honest people.

The good new is I now have a lead on some other nice ones. Might just get forelimb print and footprint on the same matrix. Waiting on pictures and a price!

Edited by Fossil Claw

I am very happy the print sold out from under me.

I was able to get an awesome 6 print plate at a great deal from thw same seller. 2

It has 2 types of Dino prints. 6 total Grallator and Atreipus prints. 5 foot prints and 1 forelimb print.

From the Triassic Passaic Formation of New Jersey (early Norian Phase).

He will be listing more prints that have both a footprint and forelimb print over the next few weeks. Happy hunting!

post-16815-0-06912900-1471025197_thumb.jpg

post-16815-0-61667500-1471031320_thumb.jpg

post-16815-0-66760300-1471031341_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fossil Claw

Excellent paper on atreipus tracks (big 20mb). Analyzes the tracks and then tries to understand what kind of animal created them. Paper is specific to the locality of your tracks.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.ldgo.columbia.edu/~polsen/nbcp/olsen_baird_86.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiep4DzrsjOAhVI9WMKHRMAC4gQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNFjlNOSXoyGieW_MDleCaz5ksPLSQ&sig2=rDFQP2hNUob-7ClWzomhAg

Edited by Troodon

Awesome. Thank you!

Atreipus,Grallator,etc,classic Keuper locality,Germany

http://www.geologie.uni-halle.de/igw/allgeo/staff/Haubold/Haubold&Klein2000.pdf

Alas,it's in German,but the name Haubold looms large in Triassic ichnology,and the depiction is great.So i thought it was a good article to post

If asked,i will translate,of course.

Edited by doushantuo

Atreipus,Grallator,etc,classic Keuper locality,Germany

http://www.geologie.uni-halle.de/igw/allgeo/staff/Haubold/Haubold&Klein2000.pdf

Alas,it's in German,but the name Haubold looms large in Triassic ichnology,and the depiction is great.So i thought it was a good article to post

If asked,i will translate,of course.

Careful what you wish for. Members here will definitely want it translated!

german or english,makes no difference to me

Same here. I wouldn't understand the paper in *any* language. ;-)

Info: Craig Hyatt, retired software/electrical engineer

Experience: Beginner, fossil hunting less than a year

Location: Eagle Pass, TX USA on the border with Mexico, hot dry desert

Formation: Escondido, Marine, Upper Cretaceous

Materials: Sandstone, Mudstone, Shale, Chert, Chalk

Typical: Thalassinoides, Sphenodiscus, Exogyra, Inoceramus

Reference: http://txfossils.com/Txfossils.html

• 2 months later...