Mazon ID and Tully Monster

Jones1rocks

Hello!

Can you help me in understanding if this shrimp is a molt or an actual body fossil? What do I need to look for? And is the shrimp identifiable?

post-6617-0-71757700-1470923523_thumb.jpg

On a separate note, is there any way to authenticate the signature on this Tully Monster, part of a package of supposedly Pit 11 fossils that I recently acquired?

post-6617-0-27126900-1470923881_thumb.jpg

post-6617-0-80352200-1470923881_thumb.jpg

The shrimp looks like Kallidecthes richardsoni and is not a molt.

Tully:

Why authenticate it? Is the person famous? I don't recognize the name. Did you really pay $40 for it?

Edited by Raggedy Man
  • I found this Informative 1

...I'm back.

Tully:

Why authenticate it? Is the person famous? I don't recognize the name. Did you really pay $40 for it?

The name is Mr. Tully.....that would be fantastic to have a fossil signed by the discoverer of the genus

I would agree that you have a nice example of Kallidecthes richardsoni.

The Tully is also a nice specimen. I do not recall ever seeing Francis Tully's signature but i see no reason why anyone would fake it.

It appears that the claw may still be preserved in the tip of the concretion. If you are interested, i can put you in touch with a preparator who specializes in prepping Mazon fossils.

There is no guarantee that it is preserved but it would definitely be worth the cost to find out.

PM me if you are interested and I can forward contact information.

• I found this Informative 2

Tully:

I believe it says "Tully."

EDIT: Two-finger typing bested once again!

Edited by snolly50

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

The name is Mr. Tully.....that would be fantastic to have a fossil signed by the discoverer of the genus

lol I know. There is a signature on file at the Field Museum with the Tully he donated. I'll try to pull the image up.

...I'm back.

beautiful specimens

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 4 weeks later...

Can't say I've ever seen a signature from Francis Tully but, assuming it is authentic, this would certainly add to its value (if not monetarily then certainly in the hearts of all lovers of Mazon Creek fossils). Shame the seller had to mar this beautiful specimen with a big "40.00" price tag--hasn't everybody heard of stickers by now? At least this adds to the story of finding a documented great deal on a beautiful (and historical) fossil. I prefer to find my own and so I don't buy or trade for fossils (but I do give away lots). I'd break my own rule if I had an opportunity to own a F. Tully signature model Tullimonstrum. I prefer my fossils to come with a backstory--usually my memories of being the one to find it. This one comes pre-packed with its own provenance and that is just plain cool.

Great find.

-Ken