Camera question

caldigger

I NEED to get a better camera that can take good clear close up shots of fossils and such. All I have is a cheapie point and shoot thing from Samsung and it takes lousy close up pictures. I literally have to be about 14" away before it will allow me to snap the shot.

The budget is real tight and I'm looking for recommendations for a fairly inexpensive model I could afford. I am still in the window shopping mode so any assistance would be appreciated that could help narrow the field somewhat.

caldigger

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

How tight of a budget, Doren?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

FYI, there are clip on lenses for cellphones. I was considering that, but finally decided on getting a point and shoot. I will probably spend $500, but there are plenty of good models in the $100 to $200 range. I have a Pentax WG-II ruggedized camera that has a macro mode and ring lighting. I never carry it because the battery life is terrible. I think there are better choices out there.

Info: Craig Hyatt, retired software/electrical engineer

Experience: Beginner, fossil hunting less than a year

Location: Eagle Pass, TX USA on the border with Mexico, hot dry desert

Formation: Escondido, Marine, Upper Cretaceous

Materials: Sandstone, Mudstone, Shale, Chert, Chalk

Typical: Thalassinoides, Sphenodiscus, Exogyra, Inoceramus

Reference: http://txfossils.com/Txfossils.html

Don't forget to look at used and refurb equipment on Amazon, etc. as I'm sure there are great deals to be had.

I've used Canon PowerShot cameras where I don't want to bring my expensive SLR or when I want to take quick shots. I looked for one that allowed me to get real close to the specimen so I can get great closeups. Lots of features, prices under $200 depending on model

Edit

Checked recent prices may be bit over 200 depending on dealer

Edited by Troodon
  • I found this Informative 1

Budget will be a big factor. I use a Nikon d3300 (a dslr) but I use it for a lot of different things. I think using a point and shoot would be the most practical camera if you're using it for just taking pictures of fossils. I used to use a Nikon Coolpix L330 (a budget friendly point and shoot) and it did the job fine when I zoomed in however pictures can get a little grainy.

Don't forget to look at used and refurb equipment on Amazon, etc. as I'm sure there are great deals to be had.

Yeah there are some amazing deals on amazon! Especially if you buy 'like new'; you're buying a brand new camera in it's original packaging for the same price as a used camera.

I've used Canon PowerShot cameras where I don't want to bring my expensive SLR or when I want to take quick shots. I looked for one that allowed me to get real close to the specimen so I can get great closeups. Lots of features, prices under $200 depending on model

Love the PowerShot. Highly recommended, and a great deal for the price. I've had a couple of them.

I really like my Panasonic DMC ZS40. There are great discounts since it is a slightly older model. See my previous post with photos taken by the camera. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/64888-best-light-for-illuminating-fossils-and-great-compact-digital-camera/?hl=%2Bpanasonic+%2Bdmc

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

One of their economy models you may want to check it out gave not read reviews

PowerShot SX600 HS Red cannon is offering discount for $150

16mp

18x optical zoom, 4x digital

2" macro focusing

WiFi enabled

Caldigger,

Check Amazon for close up clip on lens and for magnifying glasses. They have lens that can clip on your phone or camera over the existing lens and give you pretty good zoom / close up. They also have decent size magnifying glasses that are free standing and you can put a specimen under it and take the photo through it. I saw both of these today while looking for a magnifying glass for my work table and saw prices as low as $20. With their return policy, it may be worth a try and if you don't like, send it back.

Just a thought to save you some $$.

SA2

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Thanks guys, this gives me some where to roam. Just starting to look and wanted to know what others use.

caldigger

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Caldigger,

Check Amazon for close up clip on lens and for magnifying glasses. They have lens that can clip on your phone or camera over the existing lens and give you pretty good zoom / close up. They also have decent size magnifying glasses that are free standing and you can put a specimen under it and take the photo through it. I saw both of these today while looking for a magnifying glass for my work table and saw prices as low as $20. With their return policy, it may be worth a try and if you don't like, send it back.

Just a thought to save you some $$.

SA2

Right now I use one of those folding pocket loupes with my iPhone and it takes great photos. You also reminded me that, for doing work in the lab, a USB microscope costing $30 to $50 might be worth considering. I used a couple of different models at my last job, and they take nice photos using software on your PC. One was a "Zoom", but I forget the other brand. The other brand had a built-in measuring system which was pretty neat.

the Panasonic Lumix's are nice and are inexpensive.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I'm using a Sony Coolpix L830. Seems to run anywhere from 150-225.

I like it.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I created a post to help people select cameras and lenses to photograph their fossils by having everyone use their preferred camera and lenses to take a photo of the same thing, micro printing on a $20 bill. We then can see which system works the best.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/67540-comparison-of-macro-photos-from-cameras-magnifiers/

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Get a cheap older dslr like a Canon 1000d (Rebel XS your side of the pond I think) and some extension tubes which are crazily cheap. You need a lens with the camera, not body only

1000d on the auction site with zoom lens completed listings cheapest GBP £70

Cheapest new extension tubes GBP£10

With a zoom lens and a set of three extension tube you will have many different options for magnifications and as there are no lenses in the extension tubes the quality is whatever the lens is so cheap tubes are fine. You WILL need a tripod though.

Don't get hung up on megapixels. Unless you blow up bigger than A3 you won't see much difference between 10MP and 20MP.

I'm a professional photographer.

• I found this Informative 2