Comparison of Macro Photos from Cameras & Magnifiers

DPS Ammonite

A scanner with depth is nice to have when the specimen does not have a LOT of 3D depth to it. It has the advantage that it gives very good straight on illumination.

But then straight on illumination can sometimes be a drawback. Some features are best accented by tangential lighting. Some features are so low relief and low contrast that without tangential lighting to catch the shadows, the features would be washed out. A good camera, tripod, and adjustable lighting gives the most flexibility for photography.

Here's the surface of an echnoid, The image is about 12mm across. The tangential lighting accents the pore structure of the specimen.

post-16101-0-21862500-1471097192_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Another issue someone else might answer is about the software needed to run an older scanner. I use Microsoft ME on an old desk top but know zip about if any recent computers are compatable with old scanners. My computer training started and ended with keypunch cards.

What happens is that when there are large changes in the operating system over the years, the driver software for the old equipment no longer works properly. There is little to no incentive for the company to release upgrade drivers for this old equipment, so unfortunately it goes obsolete by software alone.

The opposite happens to us Linux users. When new equipment comes out, there is normally no driver for Linux to use it. Then years later a driver is finally hacked out. So if you run Linux often you are looking around for old, "obsolete" hardware.

What happens is that when there are large changes in the operating system over the years, the driver software for the old equipment no longer works properly. There is little to no incentive for the company to release upgrade drivers for this old equipment, so unfortunately it goes obsolete by software alone.

The opposite happens to us Linux users. When new equipment comes out, there is normally no driver for Linux to use it. Then years later a driver is finally hacked out. So if you run Linux often you are looking around for old, "obsolete" hardware.

I recommend buying a computer running Windows98 for $10 at the same place you buy your scanner. :-)

But seriously, folks, the Linux suggestion is great. I don't run it myself, but it's quite easy to set up a PC for dual boot or even use an old throwaway laptop.

Info: Craig Hyatt, retired software/electrical engineer

Experience: Beginner, fossil hunting less than a year

Location: Eagle Pass, TX USA on the border with Mexico, hot dry desert

Formation: Escondido, Marine, Upper Cretaceous

Materials: Sandstone, Mudstone, Shale, Chert, Chalk

Typical: Thalassinoides, Sphenodiscus, Exogyra, Inoceramus

Reference: http://txfossils.com/Txfossils.html

Disappointed with the results posted from my Nikon point.and shoot in macro, I turned to my DSLR. The point and shoot's macro feature is perfectly adequate for small objects a bit larger than the challenge; but the severe cropping required to enlarge a portion of its image to a reasonable size, resulted in an image much to small.

Nikon D600 with a Nikkor 105mm micro lens (Nikon chooses to call what others term "macro", "micro")

I think this image an improvement over my first effort. Lighting forced the use of on-camera flash, which reflected off of portions of the bill's black ink. This could be improved with more attention to a shot's illumination.

post-8873-0-02230200-1471107340_thumb.jpg

I am satisfied with this DSLR proof of concept. However, beside the excellent scanner images which can be obtained, I believe the wise choice for a person wishing to make a lot of images of items as small as the 20's letters would be best served by the line of Olympus cameras demonstrated here by Sylvestersen. The Stylus TG-3 and its iterations is the only device I am aware of that offers an in-camera focus stacking feature. This allows greatly enhanced "micro" photography. A Stylus, I believe, sells for less than $400.

Thanks for the fun exercise.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I am satisfied with this DSLR proof of concept. However, beside the excellent scanner images which can be obtained, I believe the wise choice for a person wishing to make a lot of images of items as small as the 20's letters would be best served by the line of Olympus cameras demonstrated here by Sylvestersen. The Stylus TG-3 and its iterations is the only device I am aware of that offers an in-camera focus stacking feature. This allows greatly enhanced "micro" photography. A Stylus, I believe, sells for less than $400.

Thanks for the fun exercise.

Agree with snolly50 the TG-3 is a great Camara and one of my all time favorites. The successor TG-4 can be found at Amazon for $ 349. If you're considering buying this for macro photography, do yourself a favor and also get the ring light accessories. A small device that turns the Camaras build in flash in to a ring light flash. This feature is solves a lot the normal problems getting the proper lighting for macro photography.

I finally manage to find a 10£ note with some micro print on.

post-7084-0-42944700-1471156514_thumb.jpg

post-7084-0-03641500-1471156507_thumb.jpg

post-7084-0-38018600-1471156501_thumb.jpg

post-7084-0-89690700-1471156496_thumb.jpg

All photo was taken with Olympus Stylus TG-3

• I found this Informative 1

As an alternative suggestion, a printable scale could be used to help standardize the photographic results. (Print at "actual size" :))

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Agree with snolly50 the TG-3 is a great Camara and one of my all time favorites. The successor TG-4 can be found at Amazon for $ 349. If you're considering buying this for macro photography, do yourself a favor and also get the ring light accessories. A small device that turns the Camaras build in flash in to a ring light flash. This feature is solves a lot the normal problems getting the proper lighting for macro photography.

I finally manage to find a 10£ note with some micro print on.

attachicon.gifP8120528.JPG

attachicon.gifP8120527.JPG

attachicon.gifP8120526.JPG

attachicon.gifP8120524.JPG

All photo was taken with Olympus Stylus TG-3

Can you show us this ring flash gadget on and off camera? I have a Canon ring flash but am intrigued to see what you use.

Nice Danish £10 note :P

Can you show us this ring flash gadget on and off camera? I have a Canon ring flash but am intrigued to see what you use.

Nice Danish £10 note :P

Yes - It's incredible how much the Danish 10£ looks like the British. If one didn't know better, you might think it was the same. ;)

post-7084-0-62503800-1471333765_thumb.jpg post-7084-0-77971600-1471333763_thumb.jpg post-7084-0-74400200-1471333764_thumb.jpg

Yes - It's incredible how much the Danish 10£ looks like the British. If one didn't know better, you might think it was the same. ;)

attachicon.gif20160815_112723.jpg attachicon.gif20160815_111538.jpg attachicon.gif20160815_112655.jpg

That's a super cool attachment. I thought it would work like that.

Since our referendum I believe the Danish £10 note is now worth considerably more than the British one. Good job you've got the more valuable Danish one......

Cat shark tooth on a quarter. Not sure on the size of the digits on the quarter.

Pic taken with iphone 4 using magnetic macro lens. Taken with lens approximately 1" away from tooth.

post-4311-0-98046200-1471872500_thumb.jpg

Cat shark tooth on a quarter. Not sure on the size of the digits on the quarter.

Pic taken with iphone 4 using magnetic macro lens. Taken with lens approximately 1" away from tooth.

Are these easy to install? I also have an I phone 4.

A Simple tip a techy guy told me. When using an Iphone taking a photo up close (without a device) or a regular night time photo using the flash....remove any case. It improves focus.

Edited by Ridgehiker

Yes. The kits typically come with a small 'washer' that has an adhesive back. You place this around your phone lens and the additional lens have magnets on them that adhere to the washer.

I bought mine probably 5 years ago so I am sure there are plenty more on the market now that mount in several different ways.

Mine came as a set of 4 different lens's for 20 bucks.

Now that is pretty good!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your help.

Here's a generalized summary of what was posted.

1. Most phone cameras produced poor quality photos. Special macro lenses helped.
  2. Small digital cameras with good macro lenses produced much better photos.
  3. Large SLRs with macro lenses produced the best images but were more expensive.
  4. Flatbed scanners produced very good pictures of flat fossils but were not very portable.
  5. The Olympus Stylus TG-3/TG-4 is a standout camera for the price and is highly portable. I saw a display at a San Francisco Gem and Mineral Show that displayed photos of micro mount minerals taken with the Olympus Stylus TG-4 using the stacking software. They results were very impressive. I give the camera my "Editor's Choice Award."
  6. Another option is a USB camera. The better ones (Dinolite) can be pricy but produce highly detailed photos of microscopic portions of fossils. Here is a photo of a 1mm wide fibrovascular bundle from a piece of petrified palm wood from Northern California.

A063 - 20160814_161857.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.