Gunky Platystrophia: Tips?

MeargleSchmeargl

I have been wanting to make this post for a while, but haven't gotten around to actually getting good pics until today. I have got myself one of the better Platystrophia brachiopods from my Nashville trip in August. It has a good bit of gunk stuck in the radial ribs, and I would at least like to clear a good bit of it out. Any cost effective tips?

pics:

Pedicle valve

post-20836-0-37772800-1471008252_thumb.png

Brachial valve

post-20836-0-65144300-1471008277_thumb.png

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Air abrasion would be best.

If lacking the tools and funds to go that route, you could use a dental pick, pin vise, or hand scribe to remove the excess matrix.

Sometimes, a good scrubbing with hot water, soap, and a plastic brush can work wonders.

Use magnification to see what you are doing.

You might experiment with vinegar to see if that will remove matrix. Be careful not to harm the fossil - make sure you soak with water afterwards.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Air abrasion would be best.

If lacking the tools and funds to go that route, you could use a dental pick, pin vise, or hand scribe to remove the excess matrix.

Sometimes, a good scrubbing with hot water, soap, and a plastic brush can work wonders.

Use magnification to see what you are doing.

You might experiment with vinegar to see if that will remove matrix. Be careful not to harm the fossil - make sure you soak with water afterwards.

Regards,

Hmm, I think with the resources I have I will try out vinegar first. If anyone has any tips on that, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for current tips ^.^

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Hmm, I think with the resources I have I will try out vinegar first. If anyone has any tips on that, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for current tips ^.^

Some of the guys here on the Forum use sewing needles - harden it by heating and then dunking in cold water,... then sharpen with a file or grinding wheel.

Add duct tape for a makeshift handle. ;)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Some of the guys here on the Forum use sewing needles - harden it by heating and then dunking in cold water,... then sharpen with a file or grinding wheel.

Add duct tape for a makeshift handle. ;)

Cool!

You can get these awesome needlepoint scribes and your local Ace Hardware for about 7 Bucks. I find they work better than dental picks. If you want to go to the dental pick routr you can get a pack of those really cheap at Harbor Freight Tools.

post-16815-0-78616800-1471026578_thumb.jpg

I've just used a ultrasonic cleaner on some fossils today. Might not remove everything (tho did on mine with two blasts of 500 seconds) but it'll help before you poke with a pokey thing and may save a little time.

I've just used a ultrasonic cleaner on some fossils today. Might not remove everything (tho did on mine with two blasts of 500 seconds) but it'll help before you poke with a pokey thing and may save a little time.

Just make sure the fossil is nice and hard. I have had an ultrasonic cleaner destroy more delicate fossils. If you poke it with the pick and it does not fall apart it is likely hard enough toss in an ultrasonic cleaner. Lost some tiny enrolled flexi trilos this way.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally tried out the vinegar treatment and it worked beautifully! It dissolved the vast majority of the matrix and made the ribs much more pronounced. Also like the different color! I'll post result pictures when I can get some quality pics. 

Archived