Known fossils

M1tkoo1

Hi, welcome from France. Could you tell us where do they come from, what is their geological age if you know it, what are their size and what kind of stuff you can find nearby ? Really, that would help very much. :)

Edited by fifbrindacier

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Where did you find these (geographical location or geological layer)? What are the dimensions of each specimen? Can you post photos of each specimen from several different angles? This will greatly improve your chances of getting a correct identification.

Info: Craig Hyatt, retired software/electrical engineer

Experience: Beginner, fossil hunting less than a year

Location: Eagle Pass, TX USA on the border with Mexico, hot dry desert

Formation: Escondido, Marine, Upper Cretaceous

Materials: Sandstone, Mudstone, Shale, Chert, Chalk

Typical: Thalassinoides, Sphenodiscus, Exogyra, Inoceramus

Reference: http://txfossils.com/Txfossils.html

Welcome to TFF ! :)
Most of them look like internal molds (steinkerns) of bivalves, the spiralling ones are probably from gastropods, but not knowing the above requested data is just a guess.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Found in a cave on the banks of the Danube, the Balkan Peninsula.

Wide 12 cm in diameter.And it is quite heavy.

f995f0408a.jpeg

f99602aa62.jpeg

f99625adf5.jpeg

5 cm in length and is much smaller than the first.

f9dfebd28f.jpeg

f9e02bdf51.jpeg

f9e038b55f.jpeg

4 cm in length

f9f9702d0d.jpeg

f9f97be9fb.jpeg

f9f9788f78.jpeg

With the new data, I think I was in the good direction. Take a look at here, all toghather in Google search. https://www.google.ro/search?q=intenal+molds+of+bivalves&biw=1360&bih=612&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiL-tyUyr_OAhWDtxQKHdkgAHEQ_AUIBigB&gws_rd=cr&ei=zLavV8aeNsLjU9H7nMgJ#tbm=isch&q=internal+molds+of+bivalves
The last one is a fragment of an internal mold of a bivalve in a view of the valves when they once were closed together (not a rudist upper valve).

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Abyssunder is a mine. You want further information on bivalves ? Ask Abyssunder. :)

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg