Dakotaraptor, acheroraptor, or nanotyrannus tooth?

Faolan2767

This is a fossil from the Cretaceous time period, it was found in the Hell creek formation. The specimen is a little under an inch long (tried to get a good picture of the serrations). I've done some research on the differences between the species I listed in the title and I've come short of being able to properly identify it (I'm only really a rookie fossil collector).

post-22226-0-15873700-1471150492_thumb.jpeg

post-22226-0-95517800-1471150500_thumb.jpeg

post-22226-0-07289500-1471150840_thumb.jpeg

post-22226-0-93725800-1471150851_thumb.jpeg

I am nowhere near an expert, but it seems a tad bit elongated for a Nanotyrannus to me.

Let's see what others have to say!

Thanks for the input. I have a feeling it's one of the members of the dromaeosaur family; however, from the research I did do on the teeth in those species it showed that they're similar in structure (there are differences but since I'm no palaeontologist and am only a rookie collector I'm less keen on rushing on its identification)

Photos aren't clear enough.

First, it's too big to be Acheroraptor, so that leaves Nanotyrannus and Dakotaraptor.

If it's to be a Dakotaraptor, its outer curve serrations need to be blatantly smaller than the inner curve. So take some well-lit photos that can show us both serrations.

Here are pics of several Dakotaraptor teeth.

post-4888-0-57687500-1471153575_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-50384000-1471153576_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-18084700-1471153578_thumb.jpg

Lastly, you should refer to this post by Troodon on identifying Dakotaraptor > http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/58671-hell-creek-dakotaraptor-steini

• I found this Informative 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Not compressed enough for Dakotaraptor. I lean towards Nano.

Also, the serration count on Dakotaraptor is not that big of a difference compared to most dromaeosaurs.

(Stunning tooth btw)

Edited by zekky

Are the Dakotas the ones that tend to be almost flat on both sides?

I think I'll post more clear pictures of the serrations once I have proper natural light. Can't get the picture just right for the smaller serrations (they're extremely small) although the larger ones I can for the most part get a decent picture.

Also, the serration count on Dakotaraptor is not that big of a difference compared to most dromaeosaurs.

(Stunning tooth btw)

Thanks, I'm glad I'm getting a lot of feedback on this. Hopefully once I get clear pictures of the serrations I can get a clear answer. Maybe even Troodon will come and help as well if he sees this.

Being a rookie let me say that identifying isolated teeth and bones is not easy and sometimes you dont have an answer. When it comes to theropod teeth it's all about location, shape and serrations. Without serrations on both edges the job becomes very difficult. I do need to see the serrations on the outside edge but your tooth has the classic D cross-section shape of Nanotyrannus so I think that's what you have. Your tooth is much to large to be Acheroraptor and not compressed enough to be Dakotaraptor although we do not know what the anterior teeth look like.

Here is another helpful guide on teeth from the Hell creek

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/61069-identifying-theropod-teeth-from-the-hell-creeklance-fm/