Sign in to follow this  
Scipio

Marjum Formation

Scipio

Hi everyone! I'm going to be going out to Utah this summer for a little while and I was going to take some time to collect out by Antelope Springs. I was out there a number of years ago and visited the U-dig quarry, this time however, I was hoping to find some specific dig area in the Marjum formation and any place ( if there is any ) that is known for Gorgia fossils. Thanks for your help!

Guest N.AL.hunter

Before you go up toward the U-dig site, head West into Marjum Pass. There will be some power lines running through the pass (at least that is what my memory is telling me). Keep looking up to your left for a very small dig on the mountain side. There should be a "road"/trail going straight up to it. The rock looks red. That small quarry has some really nice, large trilos if you get lucky. Also, several of the small "island" outcrops between Antelope Springs and Marjum Pass have trilos. Don't hesitate to travel past the U-dig site. Just drive around their area and head up. You'll see where others have dug.

Shamalama

Good Question, Platecarpus, I'll be out there in late August doing essentially the same thing as you. PM me with your E-mail as I have some info that might be of use.

ebrocklds

for anyone who will be coming to utah, especially for trilobites. let me know. i frequent the site and can take you to any of the outcrops that you are looking for. i am there almost monthly sometimes more. i plan on being there the end of june with a professor from a university in california. also there is a very good red marjum site right off the road but you can see it from teh road. it has the best exposure but you have to be willing to remove some overburden. i have found 3.5 inch modocia typicalis there. also there have been found many other great trilos at this exact spot. feel free to pm me ans i will give you my cell number if you want to talk more about it.

Brock

post-37-1243602590_thumb.jpg

Nandomas

Before you reach Marjum Pass (old Hwy6) , take a left (south) fork. After several miles, you will find a yellow quarry on your right (north). Weeks fm. ;)

Shamalama

ebrock and Fossili, Thanks for the extra info. I will be out there the first week of September and have already started to mark the quarry locations in Google Earth. I'll probably ask more questions as my trip gets closer. :)

jgcox

Brock we are headed your way April 1st would love to get with you on some good trilobite locals.

Fossildude19

Brock we are headed your way April 1st would love to get with you on some good trilobite locals.

You might consider sending Brock a private message, as I have not really seen him on the forums much these days - at least posting.

Go to his profile page, and click on the "send me a message" button you will see in the upper right side of the profile page.

Hope this helps.

Regards,