Spinosaurid Vertebra with gnaw marks?

LordTrilobite

3 minutes ago, Canadawest said:

Ha! It may be a fossil treasure map leading to a complete T rex skeleton. Perhaps Captain Kidd dug up a dino and reburied it but the pirate met his fate before he could  reclaim it.  Arg!

Ha, there's a cross right hand side.... :hammer01:

The random marks are probably easiest to miss. So it's definitely possible that I missed some of them. Upon further inspection though. I noticed there is a handfull of seemingly random marks on the other side as well. By far not as many though. Just a few.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

On September 12, 2016 at 5:55 PM, LordTrilobite said:

Okay so it's been a while. But I finaly made a map of the scratch marks. I had a hard time stretching out the surface of the bone in one picture so I could trace the scratches.

I might have missed a few marks (especially some of the small ones). But this should be mostly accurate.

What becomes clear is that there are two main patterns present at two different scales and angles. The three larger sub horizontal three marks on the right seem like an anomaly. These three are also by far the deepest cuts. Black lines are scratch marks. Grey is outline and major breaklines on bone.

What about if those marks are from impacts of either debris hitting the bone or the bone rolling into rocks.  Most of the marks would be in the same general direction because it was in a river and that was the direction the water was flowing.

I mean it's possible. But that doesn't explain the difference in scale. The main marks are roughly in one direction yes. Which could suggest debris hitting it. But that is pretty much at one scale. Then the other band of marks is at a smaller scale and also at a different angle.

I showed the vert to some of the palaeontologists at Naturalis, Leiden. Overall they generally agreed that the marks are prior to fossilisation and that they look like gnaw marks of indeterminate origin.

Edit: I recently found out that this vertebra is definitely an anterior dorsal vertebra of a Spinosaurid. And likely from Sigilmassasaurus brevicollis.

Edited by LordTrilobite
New info
  • I found this Informative 1