Serrated Spino Tooth for Sale

Troodon

I know there are a lot of Spino and Kem Kem tooth fanatics out there so before I get asked thought I would be proactive and give you my two or three cents

The Claim:

This listing is for a beautiful unique Spinosaurus dinosaur tooth from the Kem Kem Beds of Morocco. It is a complete tooth (probably a rear jaw tooth) that has faint serrations on the two edges of the tooth. Typically teeth from this species do not have serrations but this is a rare exception.

So is it a Spinosaurid ? Before I address that one question I can positively answer is that its not a rear jaw tooth in fact there is no photo evidence to suggest it's a complete tooth. So in my opinion its the very tip of a tooth.

Are those serrations we are seeing? Well no in what we typically call serrations but appear to be a possible morphology type tooth that may be a one off. Hard to say with the photos provided would require looking at it under a scope.

So is it the tip from a Spinosaurid. It's a partial tooth and a proper ID is very different without holding it. The crown does not appear to have the typical ridges but some Spinosaurid teeth don't have have them. The tooth is strongly enameled which is not typically of a Spinosaurid. Don't have an answer but I would lean against it because I don't see evidence to one.

post-10935-0-46290200-1471216690_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-96255600-1471216701_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-42288700-1471216716_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-29208900-1471216728_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-16050500-1471218348_thumb.jpg

I've done quite a bit of research on these teeth. I strongly believe that tooth is crocodile, possibly Hamadasuchus.

I looked at the paper before posting and it definitely was a candidate.

I would agree 100%. This absolutely appears crocodilian rather than spinosaurid.

I also agree that it is not a complete tooth. There is no tapering of walls of the tooth, nor the characteristic canal that should be present in any tooth which either has a root, or was broken off at the gum-line.

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

Archived