Nanotyrannus Toe Bone?

I post this topic because there are a few lessons to be learned for collectors.

THE HEADLINE:

FOSSIL DINOSAUR NANO TYRANNOSAURUS TOE BONE HELL CREEK MONTANA 4 3/8"

The sellers description goes on to tell how wonderful and perfect it is.

post-10935-0-79118400-1471345093_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-71604700-1471343899_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-67720800-1471343914_thumb.jpg

Well it's not that perfect:

1) Yes it's very big for a toe bone, beautiful black color and priced super high like a Tyrannosaur so one can easily assume what the seller says is correct and he has GREAT positive feedback, BUT IT'S NOT a Tyrannosaur

2) Isolated bones are very difficult to identify especially with Nanotyrannus. There is nothing published on post cranial bones and even comparative material is rare and housed only in a few museums

3) The large size does not always tell the story and does not automatically say Tyrannosaur. One must look at anatomical features to describe isolated bones.

So what is being sold. It indeed is a toe bone from some large theropod. It's Phalanx 2 and most likely from Digit III but could be Digit II. My library includes photos I've taken of the Dueling Dino's so I know exactly what these digits should look like on a Nanotyrannus.

This is Phalanx 2, Digit III

post-10935-0-47580500-1471344740_thumb.jpg

There are anatomical features which clearly showing the differences between the two bones, here are just 3.

1) Nano: The dorsal (top) side of the bone has a deep depression just behind the articulation.

Bone X: The dorsal side has no depression, its flat.

post-10935-0-84641300-1471344841_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-83739000-1471343970_thumb.jpg

2) Nano: The ventral (bottom) surface has a big arch

Bone X: A small arch and almost flat

post-10935-0-45500200-1471344827_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-46634300-1471344643_thumb.jpg

3) Nano: The proximal (back) end flares out sharply

Bone X: The sides are almost parallel with just a slight taper.

post-10935-0-39578700-1471344937_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-57886500-1471344656_thumb.jpg

So what is the bone being sold? The comparative bones from my photos points to a large Anzu wyliei but I really cannot be certain. Again lack of adequate documentation but it's not a Tyrannosaurid.

Bottom line for collectors, question everything and sorry my mantra again "never assume sellers are correct no matter how reputable he is" . They make mistakes, are told inaccurate information, or just make wrong assumptions. The BUYER needs to be the expert or find someone knowledgeable to help.

Edited by Troodon
  • I found this Informative 5

I agree with you Troodon! Could be Anzu, but I haven't been able to rule out Struthiomimus either.

Yes, research the items being sold anywhere.

That seller has also been trying to sell off some of his Mongolian claws as being from Kazakhstan also.

Hi usual M.O.

Another seller on a famous auction site we all love is trying to pass off a Saurornitholestes sp. tooth as a "Julieraptor" tooth for triple the price of a standard JRF Saurornitholestes tooth. That seller usual M.O. in trying to make the most he can off of an amateur or uneducated collector. "Julieraptor" isn't even described and is a temporary nickname. No tooth bearing elements were found with it only the cranium and lacrimals. It's a shame sellers like these can't be called out by name though lots of us already know who they are.

Edited by hxmendoza

Yes the toe could be from a very large Struthio. and cannot be ruled out.

All we can do is educate members and in the long run they will learn which suppliers to avoid.

All we can do is educate members and in the long run they will learn which suppliers to avoid.

True. Fossil education is the key. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ