Fossil Hunting Trip to Beltzville, PA

CAtoPA

Yesterday was a gorgeous day for a fossil hunting trip, and also the last day of summer before my SO had to go back to school to teach little ones. So the clan of three gathered up our bathing suits, towels, sunscreen and a bag for holding fossil finds, and we drove out to Beltzville, PA, which has a little something for everyone!

At first, we were at the swimming beach, playing around and looking for fossils there... well, the pickings were little to none. I think we found a small pebble that had some bryozoans in it. That was about it. I was wondering where all the fossils were? Did we arrive just after they had all been found? I stopped looking at this point (sigh of disappointment) and swam around with my daughter in the warm lake water.

We went up for lunch, dried off, and my sweetie got on his phone and did some research on the park. Turns out there are other places around the lake better suited for fossil hunting! Yay! After we ate, and the little one played on the children's playground, we piled back into the car and headed to the other side...

post-22024-0-64652100-1471350783_thumb.jpg

Way fewer people, and completely fossilicious!!

post-22024-0-60607500-1471351142_thumb.jpg

post-22024-0-84469400-1471351216_thumb.jpg

So here are the fossils that I found... I think that this might be the inside print of a Devonian era horn coral... Can't find anything else it might be? Besides, everything I find is a horn coral, ha ha, so that would make sense!!

Other sides of that same fossil...

post-22024-0-62732500-1471351234_thumb.jpg

post-22024-0-04216200-1471351328_thumb.jpg

I've heard the area by the power lines was a good spot but I havent had a chance to fossil hunt there. My brother goes boating all the time there.

• I found this Informative 1

Then there were some bivalves and brachiopods...

post-22024-0-49128500-1471351385_thumb.jpg

post-22024-0-33461400-1471351406_thumb.jpg

And a bryozoan or two...

post-22024-0-66411900-1471351464_thumb.jpg

It was a really fun trip, once we arrived at the right place!! I have a few more to post, but no time before work to do it this morning!

I've heard the area by the power lines was a good spot but I havent had a chance to fossil hunt there. My brother goes boating all the time there.

It's a really nice boating lake! I actually want to return to do some kayaking, now that I saw they rent kayaks there. It's really beautiful and pretty close to us!

It's a really nice boating lake! I actually want to return to do some kayaking, now that I saw they rent kayaks there. It's really beautiful and pretty close to us!

The one time out boating we got to witness a baitball getting smashed by hybrid stripped bass. Wish I'd had my fishing gear that day.