Macrophyseter

Any vertebrae fossils around palos verdes penninsula?

Macrophyseter

hey guys,

anyone know any fossils that can be found around the palos verdes peninsula (besides seashells and clams/invertebrates since I find them everywhere all the time)? I've heard that many mako shark teeth and whale fossils can be found around there, but no exact location was stated.

caldigger

It would help if you indicated where Palos Verdes was. I know its south Los Angeles, but others may not. Just saying for ease of answers, one should give as much information as they can when asking a question.

Fruitbat

You might want to check in THIS SECTION of my pdf library in the subsection for California. There are at least a couple of links to papers on the Palos Verdes hills/sands.

-Joe

siteseer
On August 16, 2016 at 3:55 PM, superhamdav said:

hey guys,

anyone know any fossils that can be found around the palos verdes peninsula (besides seashells and clams/invertebrates since I find them everywhere all the time)? I've heard that many mako shark teeth and whale fossils can be found around there, but no exact location was stated.

You need this book:

https://www.amazon.com/fossils-palos-verdes-hills-cocke/dp/149515534X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475977888&sr=8-1&keywords=fossils+palos+verdes

Virgilian
On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 3:55 PM, superhamdav said:

Deleted.

Edited by Virgilian
Inadvertently passed along bad information.

caldigger

It looks like they are about to cement in that wall to prevent further erosion.

Virgilian
22 hours ago, caldigger said:

It looks like they are about to cement in that wall to prevent further erosion.

You are quite correct. The most recent Google Earth Satellite view (February, 2016) shows that street cut now covered over by a concrete wall. I certainly should have checked that latest salellite view before posting what I did (which is now deleted, of course--no use directing folks there when there's no longer anything paleontologically there to see).

JohnJ
29 minutes ago, Virgilian said:

You are quite correct. The most recent Google Earth Satellite view (February, 2016) shows that street cut now covered over by a concrete wall. I certainly should have checked that latest salellite view before posting what I did (which is now deleted, of course--no use directing folks there when there's no longer anything paleontologically there to see).

It is preferable that you not delete content that has been commented on.  Your subsequent post (with the addition of the most up to date image) would have been a further education to members on the historical view of changes at a local site.  Your previous images showed interesting changes over time.  ;)