Chalk fossil preparation and reparation

The Amateur Paleontologist

Hi everyone,

I recenty uncovered from the lower Maastrichtian chalk of Moens Klint a partial but articulated Isselicrinus buchii columnal fragment (15 segments), which also preserves one complete cirrus (one of the many side arms of a crinoid - rare at M. K.). Today, 2 out of 5 of the plates of the cirrus dislodged themselves from the matrix and came loose. What type of glue must I use to fix them back (most efficient and cheap possible)?

Best,

Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

That’s a rare find for the chalk - congratulations. However, please tell me you have started the desalinisation process?

I'm afraid not. How do we do it?

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

I'm afraid not. How do we do it?

Oh dear... if you’re not careful you might lose it. Chalk fossils have a particular weakness against salt - they are very porous and soft. You are going to have to be very careful.

If I were you, I would place the specimen wrapped in a damp cloth in a bowel. Place he bowel in an area of fairly stable temperature and humidity. Gradually add drops of water to the specimen wrapped in a damp cloth to increase the specimen’s water content (do this over a few days). Eventually the whole specimen will be entirely saturated and at this point the whole thing can be submerged in fresh water. Every few hours, or every day I would refresh the water to ensure it is salt free. The larger the specimen the longer you want to keep it in fresh water to remove salt content. I would recommend around a month to be safe.

I would ensure this is completed before reattaching any loose parts.

Best of luck. Any questions just ask.