Feeling like an expectant father !

RJB

Today I just got word that a certain rock is heading my way. All the way from New Zealand. It took many many emails and it cost me a small fortune but could be the best crab rock of all time for me! im very ankshus, (not a clue how to spell that), and very nervous for this rock to be received through the mail ! Once I do get it I will take a photo and describe exactly what it is and why it is so important to me, then I will start the prep process and show everyone the intire prep process from beginning to end. Inbetween all the prep process I will also be going on a trip to Washington for yet more crab concretions so this thread may be a very long thread. I cant wait. Im super excited!!!

RB

Congratulations and best wishes for a safe and easy delivery. ;)

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, lost some of my last posts, so here goes again.  Here is a picture of the concretion ive been talking about.  Its a biggin!  Ive named this one 'Mr. Big'.  This is a Tumidocarcinus gigantius from New Zealand and Miocend in age.  Easily the largest concretion ive ever done with the crabs!!!  Oh, you can see the crab on the left of this giant concretion for comparison.  I thought the one on the left was big?  Ha!!!

RB

MrBig001A.JPG

Here is a picture after 12 hours of prep.  A nightmare this one.  ive never had a Tumido this sticky!  Its very much like trying to take off hard rock off of fractured glass!  Exstreamly disappointing!  and a very long ways to go.

RB

MrBig001C.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

That looks like a gargantuan challenge, Ron, but you're the right guy to do it if anyone can.

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Thank you everyone for the kind words and incuragment.  (spelling again)  Here is an update photo of Mr. Big.  This is now 21 and a half hours!  Not used to this kind of stickiness!!   Ive also got one leg coming up on the left side and it is also sticky but at least the rock is coming off without taking shell material with it.  Just some real slow going prep!   and a HECK of a lot of rock to remove to say the least!  A very long ways to go but even though all the dang stickiness, Im having a lot of fun with this one.

RB

MrBig001D.JPG

Looks tough Ron.

The concretions with the blue-green rock seem to be really tough to prep. The rock can be very hard and the crabs sticky.

This big guy is worth the effort and if anyone can do it you can!

ive been inbetween houses and cities for months so haven't had the opportunity to prep crabs. I sure miss it so love looking at crab prep posts. Keep them coming.

Edited by Doctor Mud

Just a somewhat naive question. Would it be possible to use potassium hydroxide platelets to dissolve the remaining thin layer of matrix or could it damage the shell? I use it sometimes on calcitic shells with no adverse effects. And what about abrading at low pressure?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hey Ludwigia, that sound purty scary!   Also, I tried air abrasive on a crab a long time ago and did not like how it turned out, but thanks for trying to help me. 

RB

Ok, ive got 32 hours in this now.  Absolutly everything is 'sticky'.  Its got a terrible rear end too.   Im doing the best I can but mother nature has given me a real test of skills to say the least.  Just wish it had a rear end though. 

RB

MrBig001E.JPG

Looking good Ron!

Mr Big indeed!

The leg count is promising so far.

interesting that the rock had eroded giving the shape of the claws on the front end. Is there any claw exposed on the front?

i haven't seen one weather like this.

you are a brave man. I've got one like this that I put aside - not as big mind you!

I don't know how you could stand the tedium. And the noise and vibration.. I guess that's why the good preppers command the big bucks (and don't bother with anything too common and uninteresting). Anyhow it's fun to see you successfully tackle the worst(?) Ma Nature can throw at you.

14 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

I don't know how you could stand the tedium. And the noise and vibration.. I guess that's why the good preppers command the big bucks (and don't bother with anything too common and uninteresting). Anyhow it's fun to see you successfully tackle the worst(?) Ma Nature can throw at you.

When do the big bucks start showing up? :P

28 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

When do the big bucks start showing up? :P

When You start doing prep for other people or selling Your treasures.

Loving the show!!

Thanks,

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thanks guys.   Doctor Mud, I will try and get you a picture of the front end. It does have one claw showing. 

and yes, when do those big bucks start showing up?  :)

RB

1 hour ago, ynot said:

When You start doing prep for other people or selling Your treasures.

Loving the show!!

Thanks,

Tony

I've been doing prep for others for years... I thing the tongue in my cheek in the post wasn't obvious enough. :P