This is a crinoid stem, right?

matgerke

Found this in the scree of a road cut in what I think is the Ithaca Formation (early upper Devonian). It's a bunch of overlapping crinoid stems, right? There is a quarter sitting on top of the rock for scale.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

post-20393-0-83550300-1471717133_thumb.jpg

Edited by matgerke

Yes, impressions. I also found an adjacent plate with more crinoid impressions that I will glue to this one. I have half a mind to climb the cliff and see if I can't find the calyxes. If they are indeed crinoids.

Matt

Edited by matgerke

Much smaller. If fact even the little crinoids kept tipping them over.

Good luck with the calyxes Matt. Down here to make a proper display we have to screen sample dirt to find enough broken pieces of crowns to glue together.

I read that a researcher estimated you have to encounter 100,000,000 dissembled pieces for every articulated crinoid you find. Places like Crawfordsville must make up for some really bad numbers other places.

nice stems

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Well, I'm going to be contrary and say these are not crinoid impressions, and might be cruziana, a trace fossil.

Look closely at the impressions, and they don't seem to be hemispherical, they seem to have a flatness to them, not at all like a crinoid stem...

post-16101-0-59125600-1471781752_thumb.jpg

Also, the trackway seems to have been covered up a bit before it became turned to stone. This would be hard to explain if it was an impression...

post-16101-0-99065600-1471781919_thumb.jpg

Well, I'm going to be contrary and say these are not crinoid impressions, and might be cruziana, a trace fossil....

The rock is a bit weathered, but I see the same thing.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 7 months later...
50 minutes ago, matgerke said:

Someone on Facebook suggested tentaculites.  Thoughts?

Those taper and are different in that they taper. 

2 hours ago, erose said:

Those taper and are different in that they taper. 

Agreed!
Tentaculites are conical in shape, so their imprints should have the same shape, not cylindrical like yours.

What is sure, there are tiny crinoid columnal imprints on the surface, like this one:

20170325_114017.jpg.b483f72ff6ad8a1ff332be2fd19d6d60.jpg.facee1a1ca36b99867cb80ea86cfb2c3.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Yes, it's true that there are tiny crinoids (and shells) in the matrix.  But my puzzlement is that they seem to be far less weathered than the long tracks that are supposedly crinoid stems.  If those are really crinoid stems, why would they have so much less detail than the other fossils in the matrix?  That's what makes me think they might be burrows.

10 hours ago, matgerke said:

Yes, it's true that there are tiny crinoids (and shells) in the matrix.  But my puzzlement is that they seem to be far less weathered than the long tracks that are supposedly crinoid stems.  If those are really crinoid stems, why would they have so much less detail than the other fossils in the matrix?  That's what makes me think they might be burrows.

Notice that where the small pieces are sharp the shapes in question are faint. They were simply deeper in the matrix when it began to weather. Their small size affords them a certain amount of protection from abrasive forces as well.

If you find evidence that the shapes conform to each other then I will reconsider.

• I found this Informative 3

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Notice that where the small pieces are sharp the shapes in question are faint. They were simply deeper in the matrix when it began to weather. Their small size affords them a certain amount of protection from abrasive forces as well.

If you find evidence that the shapes conform to each other then I will reconsider.

You are correct.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 1 year later...