First Prepped Trilo-bit

DevonianDigger

Have a nice ~2cm wide E. rana cephalon from the Penn Dixie site (~42.778860, ~-78.832180) that I collected earlier this summer. I have been practicing prepping trilo-bits and wanted to share my first "finished" result. There are still a few tiny places where I could've probably gotten a little more of the matrix out, but I went for 'better safe than sorry' given my low-grade equipment.

Open to advice and/or suggestions!

post-21647-0-92987500-1471806931_thumb.jpg

post-21647-0-33651000-1471806936_thumb.jpg

Edited by DevonianDigger
  • I found this Informative 1

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Looks pretty darn good to me. :)

Well done.
Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Looks pretty darn good to me. :)

Well done.

Regards,

Thank you, Tim! I have a much bigger one I am also working on, hoping it turns out alright as well. I'm so sorry that I missed you in July, I wanted to come out so badly, but we had a family emergency that took me out of commission until just recently. Hopefully we will get a chance to go hunting again soon!

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

No worries. :)

I'm confident that we'll catch up at some point.

I heard a rumor that there may be another Forum get together at Deep Springs Road this fall sometime. Hopefully, before the snow starts flying, this time. ;)

Regards,

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

No worries. :)

I'm confident that we'll catch up at some point.

I heard a rumor that there may be another Forum get together at Deep Springs Road this fall sometime. Hopefully, before the snow starts flying, this time. ;)

Regards,

Definitely interested. It's a small trek from here, but might be worth the trip. I've done nothing but solo hunting this year at PD.

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Definitely interested. It's a small trek from here, but might be worth the trip. I've done nothing but solo hunting this year at PD.

I'll keep you in the loop on the plans for that one. ;)

Regards,

It looks like you did a great job

Thank you!

I will actually be publishing a post soon about the tool I used in place of an air scribe/pen. I'm not sure how it will work on other matricies, but it certainly works on the shale. (With no compressor, at a fraction of the price no less!)

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Your results are pretty good, whatever method you're using, I'm curious now what that is.

Thank you!

I will actually be publishing a post soon about the tool I used in place of an air scribe/pen. I'm not sure how it will work on other matricies, but it certainly works on the shale. (With no compressor, at a fraction of the price no less!)

Spill the beans!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Looks great . Lets play the guessing game on the tool.....

I say Dremel type tool with ......443 Carbon Steel Brushes

do I win the trilobite.....:)

Edited by Stingray

Looks too good to be a Dremel, methinks (speaking as someone who is using a Dremel with lots of specialized bits, none of which approach an air abrader - I can see @malcomt's frown right now!)

Edited by Kane

It was just a quess he said he wasn't using a scriber and no compressed air so what pray tell could it be????

I had wanted to do a proper little write-up with pictures and all, but have not yet had the time. But since inquiring minds want to know, here's the basic version! (I will try up take and upload some photos/videos of everything in action ASAP.)

Imprimus, I can't afford an air scribe.

I was researching them online and got to thinking that I had experience with an item that accomplished largely the same task only electrically, rather than pneumatically. What I found was a very nice detail tool that has made prepping my shale finds something I now truly enjoy almost as much as the actual hunting!

I was, at one point in the past, a tattoo artist.  As such, I have a whole assortment of various machines and equipment boxed up in a closet. (For the uninitiated, a tattoo machine is basically a tool used for air scribe-ing pictures into your skin.) At first I figured that if it was a good idea, someone would have already thought of it. Then I thought about how long it took man to finally invent emoji and was once again committed. I didn't really want to run the risk of ruining a valuable piece of hardware, so I opted for a cheap experiment. Figuring I would now only be using this machine on clients who have been deceased long enough to not care about such things, I decided to re-purpose one of the cheap 5-10$ machines you can get on eBay with a ~$10 PSU and $1.99 foot-switch. 

I spoke with my stepfather, who is a machinist, and we discussed the idea of braising a carbide bit to an armature to take the place of the tattoo needle in the contraption. After much discussion and consideration, I realized that I was already committing a sin against both science and what is widely considered to be a fine art, and that this was no time for half-measures. Thus resigned, I grabbed a box of sealed, but expired 5RL tattoo needles—which are single units comprised of 5 ultra-fine point surgical-grade stainless steel needless arranged in a rather small circular formation—what's the worst that could happen? I fired it all up and grabbed a few beat-up, incomplete E. rana I had in a box and went to town.

I was completely floored not only with how efficiently it cleared out the shale, but how much the needles didn't do what I had assumed they would do, (which was immediately bend over and become a mangled mess of useless, metallic impotence.) They lose their teeth after about 30 minutes, but remain pretty effective nonetheless.

I was, at first, very careful to avoid close quarters with actual fossil material for fear of what might happen if the needle struck it. But of course it wasn't long before I slipped and delivered what I assumed would be a devastating gouge to an otherwise nifty cephalon. I was delighted again to discover that the configuration of the needles allows for some play in the stroke given the right amount of resistance—as it turns out, the shale is not enough to flex the needle tips but the fossil material is. 

I have tested it out on quite a few shale-bound bugs along with some substantially more delicate Psedoatrypa and Mediospirifer brachiopods and have had no problems given an appropriate amount of attention.

I've been going crazy with it over the past week and so far I can say that it's not sufficient for any amount of bulk removal, but I'm no longer hurting for an air scribe for detail work! From my experience, I would say that this might be a good way for someone interested in starting out in prep to get some practice on some softer matrices for a really inexpensive entry price.

(I should note that I am still finishing everything with an air eraser and dolomite powder)

Edited by DevonianDigger
for grammar and general foolishness
  • I found this Informative 5

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

• Thanks for the great write up. That is always the nature of man / woman too re-purpose tools and materials in order to meet a new demand. Great work and again thanks for the tip literally....:fistbump:

Just now, JohnBrewer said:

What great piece of lateral thinking. Any chance of some photos or even a video? 

Absolutely! I'm hoping to take some very soon; I had to temporarily pack up shop in my studio to make room for some company, but I should be back up and running Friday!

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

I'm just in awe over your innovation here. And, yes, for all the fluffy over-use of the term innovation, what you did was truly innovative! :fistbump:

2 hours ago, Kane said:

I'm just in awe over your innovation here. And, yes, for all the fluffy over-use of the term innovation, what you did was truly innovative! :fistbump:

Lol! I honestly thought that I was going to get laughed out of the room for this one, but it works out rather well. Pictures coming very soon!

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

Whatever works is not laughable.

Whether your tools or technique or the aesthetic choices you've made along the way are more responsible, your results are very good. I'm tempted to send you a couple things from my local shale but I suspect it's a bit harder than yours and your machine wouldn't work as well on it...

Thank you everyone again for all the encouragement! I had a chance to play around tonight with a few rocks I had laying around. I found a cephalon that looked like it might be fun to take a go at for a video demo I'm doing. (Will be edited and uploaded soon!)

Here's what I settled in on:

20160903_020934.jpg

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA