Oviraptor Dino Egg fake?

aeon.rocks

Another one from a bunch of fakes... What do you think? In my non-expert opinion it looks pretty close, detail is there and it seems it could be an "unpreped" (in need of sandblasting) oviraptor egg, what bothers me however is the color of the matrix (majority of these come from China and Mongolia and are found in a bit more reddish matrix) and detail around transition between "shell" and matrix. I would give it 50% 50% chance the rest is there, but given the mentioned facts above and reputation of the seller assume it`s a composite with some real egg-shell placed in matrix.

Any dino-egg collectors here? What`s your opinion?

post-9201-0-28849100-1472046795_thumb.jpgpost-9201-0-30470800-1472046802_thumb.jpgpost-9201-0-68928100-1472046816_thumb.jpg

Edited by aeon.rocks

I'd avoid it.

There are real eggshell on the surface, but the matrix is definitely off. As you mentioned, Chinese matrix is completely different; even those uncommon Chinese eggs in hard matrix are a wholly different beast from this. The white area around the "egg" makes it feel like its a deliberate mold, perhaps with cement.

When it comes to dino eggs, unless you can achieve a high degree of certainty to its authenticity, avoid buying.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Agree with Andy. The matrix is far different than what you typically see from that locality. Too many other eggs available to concern yourself with authenticity. It needs to be a slam dunk to purchase eggs from Asia.

The shape looks good. But the colouration looks completely off and way to monochrome. I'm going to say that this is a cast of a real egg. So if it's priced like a replica I'd say it's worth it. But I dont think there is a single part of this that is real.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Ha, thanks for reply, as I thought. It`s not priced as replica, it`s in auction, 2 days to go and already at $200+ (as I see seller already known for fakes in this forum). As a difference to the other fakes this egg looks like it`s still mostly unpreped, but as we agree best to stay away and I wouldn`t keep my hopes up, Chinese are known for "mosaic dino-egg" fakes with real pieces of egg-shell, which I think is the case here also, just not as obvious due to the unpreped-look. Could be that it`sa cast aswell. Inany case, if placed in original matrix it would be a hard fake to beat I guess.

Edited by aeon.rocks

Very fake- stay away. I purchased several eggs from this seller last year and all were fake.

Looking at it again. The rock looks real. I'm seeing clear casting bubbles on the egg though. The egg is a definite cast. Probably in a real rock.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite