More Adventures in the Green River Formation

old dead things

This is kind of a photo array of the past couple of weeks. After coming home for a funeral I returned to the 18" quarry in the Green River formation for two more weeks. Primarily there to dig the mini fish layer, but also spent considerable amount of time digging the 18" layer and some time at the split fish quarry. This quarry is a lonely place and the only company is another friend that comes to dig with me at night.

Quite an abundance of wildlife and unfortunately no photos of the deer, antelope, chipmunks, marmot, cottontails and jackrabbits. Also a first in the wildlife category this year a pine marten came to visit me in the outhouse, oblivious to me in search of small rodents, but strange enough, on the last morning as I checked my pallet to make sure I hadn't forgot anything, three kit pine martens were coming out of their den, a human, was an interesting subject for them until I heard a stern mother's warning and they all fled to the safety of the den. And of course the camera was packed safely away.

post-1148-0-93280000-1472092434_thumb.jpg

We dig the 18" layer at night because it is easier to see the shadows of the fish in the limestone. I have a couple of pictures of fish, but the photos don't do them justice, but wanted to show them now and will post them again after getting them prepped. We always use a pencil to outline the fish, as it helps to template it and later in preparation.

post-1148-0-74855400-1472092571_thumb.jpg post-1148-0-01774100-1472092579_thumb.jpg

diplomystus priscacara

Probably my most exciting find. Well, I have found lots of twigs, sticks and plants, and lots of single leaves, but this was the first time I found a twig with leaves attached. Super find, and of course, rare. I did try to negotiate for them, but the best I could do was "future considerations."

post-1148-0-43857400-1472092754_thumb.jpg

As previously mentioned, I was there to primarily dig for mini fish, but sometimes they aren't so mini as in evidence of this pair of mioplosus. The take home of "A" mini fish, was eight crates or about 500 fish.

post-1148-0-71677600-1472092884_thumb.jpg post-1148-0-37280700-1472092892_thumb.jpg

For those of you old enough to remember and those of you that may have ventured to the original Warfield Springs quarry. A friend and I after a few hours of search found the old quarry, buildings now ready for the bulldozer, and the mounds from which the fish were dug are starting to become over grown with sage brush. Still a really neat place.

post-1148-0-21687600-1472093057_thumb.jpg

And one last photo, a contest, is it an aspiration or is it not? post-1148-0-23817500-1472093104_thumb.jpg

Now to get ready for the Albuquerque show the first weekend of October, yes another shameless plug.

Jim

Old Dead Things

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks for bringing us along Jim!

Looks like a grand Ole time!

Wish I could have been there!

Jim,

Are they parts of the same fish? I don't think it's an aspiration.

I dug the split fish layer one day in the early 90's. A friend had a lease for at least one summer. Maybe you remember the French guy?

Good luck at your show.

Jess

This is kind of a photo array of the past couple of weeks. After coming home for a funeral I returned to the 18" quarry in the Green River formation for two more weeks. Primarily there to dig the mini fish layer, but also spent considerable amount of time digging the 18" layer and some time at the split fish quarry. This quarry is a lonely place and the only company is another friend that comes to dig with me at night.

Quite an abundance of wildlife and unfortunately no photos of the deer, antelope, chipmunks, marmot, cottontails and jackrabbits. Also a first in the wildlife category this year a pine marten came to visit me in the outhouse, oblivious to me in search of small rodents, but strange enough, on the last morning as I checked my pallet to make sure I hadn't forgot anything, three kit pine martens were coming out of their den, a human, was an interesting subject for them until I heard a stern mother's warning and they all fled to the safety of the den. And of course the camera was packed safely away.

attachicon.gifNight digging.jpg

We dig the 18" layer at night because it is easier to see the shadows of the fish in the limestone. I have a couple of pictures of fish, but the photos don't do them justice, but wanted to show them now and will post them again after getting them prepped. We always use a pencil to outline the fish, as it helps to template it and later in preparation.

attachicon.gif18" diplomystus.jpg attachicon.gif18" priscacara.jpg

diplomystus priscacara

Probably my most exciting find. Well, I have found lots of twigs, sticks and plants, and lots of single leaves, but this was the first time I found a twig with leaves attached. Super find, and of course, rare. I did try to negotiate for them, but the best I could do was "future considerations."

attachicon.gifLeaves from 18"".jpg

As previously mentioned, I was there to primarily dig for mini fish, but sometimes they aren't so mini as in evidence of this pair of mioplosus. The take home of "A" mini fish, was eight crates or about 500 fish.

attachicon.gifMioplosus Pair.jpg attachicon.gifMore Mini fish.jpg

For those of you old enough to remember and those of you that may have ventured to the original Warfield Springs quarry. A friend and I after a few hours of search found the old quarry, buildings now ready for the bulldozer, and the mounds from which the fish were dug are starting to become over grown with sage brush. Still a really neat place.

attachicon.gifSprings 4.jpg

And one last photo, a contest, is it an aspiration or is it not? attachicon.gifAspiration.jpg

Now to get ready for the Albuquerque show the first weekend of October, yes another shameless plug.

Jim

Old Dead Things

Nice report,ditto finds.

Aspiration?

Second time i've seen that.phrase.

What does it mean?

Doushantou.

An aspiration is when a fish suffocates / chokes on prey that was too large for it.

I called them asphyxiations for a while. The people that dig a lot of Green River Formation call them Aspirations

Edited by FossilDudeCO
  • I found this Informative 1

The "aspiration" looks to me to be a single fish, folded over onto itself.

:unsure:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Not an aspiration, although even a few seasoned fish collectors took several looks at it. one fish died on another fish which gives the appearance of being swallowed. And knightia weren't predatory with other knightia.

Thanks for playing.

Jim