Wilson Clay Pit Unknown

dre464

On one of our last trips to the Wilson Clay Pit, I found this. I have been unable to identify it with my current resources. It looks like some type of bivalve, but I can't find anything with the same ornamentation. It appears to have spines, most of which have been broken off. The specimen is below. The scale is in centimeters.

post-18428-0-63637300-1472093668_thumb.jpg post-18428-0-75446400-1472094596_thumb.jpg

Hopefully someone can help me identify it. Thanks in advance!!

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis

Looks like a crushed spiny brachiopod.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Nice brachiopod. I think, there is a fusulinid on the left side, at least looks like that.

post-17588-0-36890300-1472194342_thumb.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I think there is what look like a coral above it on the right.

post-21013-0-48234800-1472224954_thumb.jpg

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Thanks everyone. I was thinking spiny brachiopod as well, but I can't find anything that looks like it. I'll have to search for papers that describe Texas types.

Trust me, tmaier, the thought crossed my mind, but the more terrifying thought was damaging the spines that are still intact. I'm mildly impatient and severely ham-handed. Maybe with a little more experience in prepping.

Thanks, abyssunder. Fusulinids are VERY common in the Wilson Clay Pit. It seems like every piece of fossil hash that I pick up has one or two (or 50)...

fifbrindacier, I think what you are seeing is a bryozoan called Rhombopora, another very common fossil in the pit. They turn up everywhere!

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis

• 1 month later...

While taking pictures of my collection for cataloging, I stumbled across two more examples of this brachiopod/bivalve.  The first is a small fragment, again with several fragments of spines still attached.  The scale is in centimeters.

066a.jpg

The second example is, perhaps, the most complete.  There are small spine fragments still attached, and also, very interesting larger spines that extend beyond the edge of the shell.  Again, the scale is in centimeters. 

067a.jpg

I've been searching for an ID for awhile now, and I still can't find anything that looks like it.  Is erose correct?  Are they uncommon?  Or am I just looking in the wrong place?  As always, any help is tremendously appreciated!

Daniel  

Archived