Western Australian amonites

sandgroper

The weekend before last a mate of mine and myself headed to the mid west of our state where there is a Jurrassic site that we were told about containing some interesting fossils. we were lucky enough to find a variety of pieces including a couple of ammonites which are great! The smaller one here was unfortunately broken but at least was able to be removed from the rock relatively easily. It is Newmarracarroceras Clarkei and is regarded as being quite common in the area but I was really pleased to find it. I also found an ammonite impression in a piece of stone so I've displayed the ammonite on the rock, I will make up a little label to place in front of it explaining what it is and where it was found in the next few days.

post-20200-0-19855400-1472263193_thumb.png

The larger piece, which is still embedded in rock and is harder to distinguish was identified by the head Geologist at the University of Western Australia as Zemistephanus Corona, it is much rarer than the smaller ammonite and is considered uncommon so I was really excited to find it. post-20200-0-58031200-1472263540_thumb.png

I also picked up this great looking piece of stone, it shows just how prolific these early marine fossils are in this area, it is covered in various fossil pieces.post-20200-0-80237700-1472263707_thumb.png

Cheers,

Dave.

• I found this Informative 1

That matrix is certainly different! Nice finds! Thanks for sharing.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."