China Crab Fossils - Real or Fake?

Trilobiting

Hi all. On an auction site, I found these "crab fossils" for sale. Seller says they're from Guangdong. One person left a message saying the fossil was a fake, and that it was just a recently dead crab engaged in a mass of sand and resin. Not really sure on this one.

post-19715-0-09969900-1472265353_thumb.jpeg

post-19715-0-73365000-1472265372_thumb.jpeg

post-19715-0-91444800-1472265394_thumb.jpeg

"Fossils have richer stories to tell about the lub-dub of dinosaur life than we have been willing to listen to." - Robert T. Bakker

Reminds me of the holocene lobster and crab fossils from Australia, to be honest. Could be something very similar. I do see matrix in the joints, but it is hollow inside. Does anyone know if the Aus ones are hollow also?

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Reminds me of the holocene lobster and crab fossils from Australia, to be honest. Could be something very similar. I do see matrix in the joints, but it is hollow inside. Does anyone know if the Aus ones are hollow also?

I have 4 crabs from Australia; 3 are filled but one is mostly hollow. But the exoskeleton is much harder than it would be if it were recent. By the way, I thought they are from the Pleistocene?

Edited by sdsnl

I have 4 crabs from Australia; 3 are filled but one is mostly hollow. But the exoskeleton is much harder than it would be if it were recent. By the way, I thought they are from the Pleistocene?

Could be! I said holocene because there was a paper published that they could be within holocene to a fair bit older. They're unsure on the age or something.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."