6" Composite Spino Tooth

Thought this would be informative so decided to start this topic

The seller header:

6" INCH UGLY FOSSIL DINOSAUR SPINOSAURUS AEGYPTICUS ROOTED SKULL TOOTH

So if one quickly scans the description in the fine print there is a key word that can easily be missed "composite" among a sea of positives including 100% authentic, nice collector piece and natural field repairs.   Seller knows it's a composite but appears to be selling it like an authentic tooth.  ALWAYS read the description and look for code words that have other meanings. 

This tooth looks like a fake but what should we be looking for in a composite tooth?

With Kem Kem teeth matrix covering repair areas or where two teeth are joined are the most common.  Examples in the  two photos shows fine sand on the roots disguising some repair. White fill is also used to hide imperfections or joints.  Changes in size - look for natural lines unlike those seen with my two red lines in the photo where the root size changes.

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (2).jpg

Another flag is the root.  Theropod roots are not oval as they end and don't get wider.  They taper and have some depression for a replacement tooth.  It's hard to replicate a root so most fake ones are obvious.  

s-l400.jpgScreenshot_20160829-042329.jpg

With Kem Kem material please be careful especially on unusually large teeth.  Composites are not always obvious so if you can post it here we have lots of members with experience who know what to look for.

• I found this Informative 7

That is very informative. Thanks. I was given some Moroccan Otodus teeth years back by somebody and had them in my collection for years until somebody pointed out that parts of the roots had been restored with plaster. I had no idea. Collectors, especially those who purchase fossils, definitely need to educate themselves with threads like these.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Roots are often restored and Crowns are commonly composited to roots.    If you see white plaster it's restored or composites

s-l400 (1).jpg

It would have been more realistic if they did not include the last section but it also would not be 6" :rofl: