a name for this fish, araripe, cretaceous ?

marguy

I only know  the classic Vinctifer and Rhacolepis...

what is this one? (sorry for bad  quality of pictures);  thank you  for your help.

P1020461.JPG

Edited by marguy

I would guess Brannerion sp.  Might be B. latum (Agassiz) or B. vestitium Jordan & Branner, 1908.

Brannerion.JPG

Thomas

• I found this Informative 3

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

I agree. As Tim said previously, a few days ago, there is a good chance for a Brannerion.

" Maisey (1991) presented evidence for at least three distinct fossil assemblages in the Santana Formation, each characteristic of a particular concretion lithology representing three separate collecting sites after which they are named.

'Santana' concretions are usually oval in shape, of small size, and do not reflect the fossil outline. Tharrhias is abundent, Brannerion, Araripelepidotes, and Calamopleurus are common, and Cladocyclus, Axelrodichthys, Vinctifer, and Rhinobatos are rare. (...)

'Jardim' concretions are large and platy with their shape reflecting the outline of the fossil (375). Large specimens of Rhacolepis and Vinctifer are abundant, Brannerion, Araripelepidotes, Cladocyclus, Calamopleurus, Axelrodichthys, and Rhinobatos are common, and Mawsonia and Tharrhias are rare. (...)

'Old Mission' concretions (from Missao Velha) are also large, but are thick rather than platy and do not reflect the fossil outline. Rhacolepis and Vinctifer are abundant, Brannerion is common, and Araripichtys, Calamopleurus, and Cladocyclus are rare. " - Evolution of Fossil Ecosystems - Paul Selden, John Nudds; Chapter 16 -The Santana and Crato Formations

Also, here are two exemples of Brannerion, from An updated review of the fish faunas from the Crato and Santana formations in Brazil, a close relationship to the Tethys fauna - Paulo M. Brito, Yoshitaka Yabumoto  https://www.researchgate.net/publication/256422842_An_updated_review_of_the_fish_faunas_from_the_Crato_and_Santana_formations_in_Brazil_a_close_relationship_to_the_Tethys_fauna

0018.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank you very much for id and informative documentation,

best regards, Marguy

(Abyssunder, I had no access to my first post [I was thinking it was lost  somewhere?], and didn't see tim's answer ...)