Oviraptor Egg Fossil?

Seguidora-de-Isis

Good morning to everyone!Sorry my poor English ... Please like to hear from you. This Oviraptor Egg Fossil is real? Thanks to everyone who can help me.

AXoro 2 F.PNG

582833AXoro2G.png

190925AXoro2H.png

721154AXoro2I.png

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Welcome to TFF!

Do You know where it came from?

It looks good to Me, but We should wait for other opinions.

Tony

Edited by ynot
add question.
  • I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Welcome to the forum.

The egg looks very real however although commonly called oviraptor eggs there is no conclusive way to determine it comes from that type of dinosaur.  

Looks like the real deal. And like Troodon said there's no conclusive way to determine the species. But nests with Oviraptors on top of them have been found. The morphology is consistent so it's more likely than not that it's Oviraptor. But it might be more correct just to call it a Theropod egg.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I personally have very little faith in all eggs on the market because they can be faked so well. additionally the wide variety in the quality of fakes and the fact that the market was swamped with fakes makes it difficult to develop a reliable frame of reference regarding what is real and what is fake. I've read that even those with considerable experience handling unquestionably real eggs prefer to see x-rays before concluding as to the authenticity of unknown eggs. Additionally eggs from Mongolia/China are illegal unless they were exported pre-embargo but that is difficult to prove. so my recommendation to you is to avoid them aha

With that all said from my experience the egg does appear genuine.

Edited by arthur
spelling error

It looks real to me, both in terms of size, morphology and surface texture.

That said, some of the eggshell pieces could be composited from unrelated pieces, but it's no biggie really.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

13 hours ago, -Andy- said:

It looks real to me, both in terms of size, morphology and surface texture.

That said, some of the eggshell pieces could be composited from unrelated pieces, but it's no biggie really.

For me also looks like it was made with different shells, realize that there are brown and black bark. Thank you for your opinion!

03.PNG

13 hours ago, arthur said:

I personally have very little faith in all eggs on the market because they can be faked so well. additionally the wide variety in the quality of fakes and the fact that the market was swamped with fakes makes it difficult to develop a reliable frame of reference regarding what is real and what is fake. I've read that even those with considerable experience handling unquestionably real eggs prefer to see x-rays before concluding as to the authenticity of unknown eggs. Additionally eggs from Mongolia/China are illegal unless they were exported pre-embargo but that is difficult to prove. so my recommendation to you is to avoid them aha

With that all said from my experience the egg does appear genuine.

For me also it seems genuine, but no X-ray is difficult to be sure ... Thank you for your opinion!

03.PNG

14 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Looks like the real deal. And like Troodon said there's no conclusive way to determine the species. But nests with Oviraptors on top of them have been found. The morphology is consistent so it's more likely than not that it's Oviraptor. But it might be more correct just to call it a Theropod egg.

I also think it is a Theropod egg. If it is real, of course! Thank you for your opinion.

03.PNG

14 hours ago, HamptonsDoc said:

Looks good but need better pictures of the texture of the shell to be sure!

I will provide more pictures. Thank you for your help!

03.PNG

Please help me... If that egg is true, approximately how much it costs in dollars currently in the world of fossil collections?

03.PNG

Just now, SEGUIDORA-DE-ISIS said:

Please help me... If that egg is true, approximately how much it costs in dollars currently in the world of fossil collections?

Valuations or appraisals are not published on The Fossil Forum.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

On 30/08/2016 at 2:41 AM, ynot said:

Welcome to TFF!

Do You know where it came from?

It looks good to Me, but We should wait for other opinions.

Tony

Hello my friend Tony. Good Morning! The seller told me he came from New Mexico petrified forest, but I doubt it! I think it came from Kaoguo Formation, Xixia Basin, Henan Province, China, Late Cretaceous Age! Hugs!

03.PNG

5 hours ago, SEGUIDORA-DE-ISIS said:

Hello my friend Tony. Good Morning! The seller told me he came from New Mexico petrified forest, but I doubt it! I think it came from Kaoguo Formation, Xixia Basin, Henan Province, China, Late Cretaceous Age! Hugs!

I agree with you it's not from New Mexico most likely China but there are several localities that produce theropod eggs like Nanxiong Formation, Guangdong Province.    

But someone can explain how some shells are brown and the other black? Hugs and thanks to all who help.

03.PNG

1 hour ago, SEGUIDORA-DE-ISIS said:

But someone can explain how some shells are brown and the other black? Hugs and thanks to all who help.

This is something I never understood but I have seen this from eggs of this type prepared by a friend of mine.

2 minutes ago, HamptonsDoc said:

This is something I never understood but I have seen this from eggs of this type prepared by a friend of mine.

Nice! :-) I did not know that! Too bad it's a mystery! :-(

03.PNG

4 minutes ago, SEGUIDORA-DE-ISIS said:

Nice! :-) I did not know that! Too bad it's a mystery! :-(

I would be interested in seeing what some of the members who know more about geology than me have to say about the different coloration of the shell.  When first seeing it one would think that it is a mosaic of shell from other eggs glued together but per my preparer friend, that is not always the case.

Did you decide to purchase this egg?

1 hour ago, HamptonsDoc said:

I would be interested in seeing what some of the members who know more about geology than me have to say about the different coloration of the shell.  When first seeing it one would think that it is a mosaic of shell from other eggs glued together but per my preparer friend, that is not always the case.

Did you decide to purchase this egg?

This is truth ... In a brief analysis seems to be a mosaic composed of various egg-shells. But if this is true, is mounting more well done that I've seen in all my life. I do not know if I'll buy yet. The problem is that it is a rather dubious fossil and without origin.

03.PNG

My educated guess is that it's a combination of prep methods used, and the area the eggs were preserved which creates different coloration for these Oviraptor eggs.

You get meg teeth of many colors as well.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

The different shading from dark to light is part of the fossilization process caused by what mineral was in contact with the egg.  The only explanation, that makes sense to me, when you see a black mosaic shell surrounded by grey is that piece was placed there from loose eggshell material.  Those loose pieces could be either from that egg or others.  That does not make the egg fake or fabricated  it's just poorly repaired. 

Egg prepared by Lowell Carhart expert! Note that many naturally present eggs are shells of different colors. So we can prove that this happened during the fossilization process , with the addition of various minerals can get these jewels of highly collectible nature. Much joy! Thank you for all of you who helped me!

Size:    6.88 inch

918608AXoro2G.png

303515AXoro2E.png

753796AXoro2F.png

Edited by SEGUIDORA-DE-ISIS

03.PNG

Translated by Google:

Egg prepared by Ana an expert! Note that many naturally present eggs are shells of different colors. So we can prove that this happened during the fossilization process , with the addition of various minerals can get these jewels of highly collectible nature. Much joy! Thank you for all of you who helped me !