They're everywhere!

Paleowhatonist?

So this is the standard Homeosaur type 'well detailed fossil' that you find on auction sites, usually it's some poor lizard or a good resin cast etc.

But they really are reaching everywhere.
I've just been on holiday for 2 weeks in Cornwall, UK. We always visit Tintagel, a historic town that has a great crystal/fossil shop. The lady there always has fossils like your normal £1.50 unidentified Jurassic dinosaur piece, but she also has a case with some brilliant larger specimens of all sorts of species. This time she had a brilliant mammoth tusk.
But at the top of the shelf was on of these small dinosaur fossils (I can't remember which it was supposed to be) but the info said it had come from China and it was for sale for a bit over £1600. I felt bad, I didn't know wether she knew it was fake but if she didn't then she had probably paid atleast £1000 for it. I almost wanted to tell her it is highly likely a fake, but didn't have it in me.

It's a shame that so many fakes are getting around now.

Sorry if this seems like a pointless post, it's more my dismay at the situation than anything.

homeosaur fakery.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Yes unfortunately everywhere. It truly is sad to see so many of these type of fakes being sold and bought by collectors thinking it's something special.  All we can do is educate our members and guests to avoid these type of items.  Thanks for the post education is never pointless.

A couple more types of fakes

s-l400 (2).jpgs-l1600 (7).jpg

• I found this Informative 3

This is my favorite: The first Cretaceous trilobite found together with a turtle (Manchurochelys liaoxiensis) in the famous Jehol-Biota of Liaoning!

post-2081-0-29937000-1451755641.jpg

Edited by oilshale
  • I found this Informative 3

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

1 hour ago, oilshale said:

This is my favorite: The first Cretaceous trilobite found together with a turtle (Manchurochelys liaoxiensis) in the famous Jehol-Biota of Liaoning!

Oh dear.....

6 hours ago, oilshale said:

Wow....

...I'm back.

These false fossils are everywhere! Turned plague! The auction started not long ago and already has 10 offers!

AXoro 2 E.PNG

Edited by JohnJ
Please do not post dealer links. ;)

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 at 2:57 PM, oilshale said:

*gag* *choke* *gasp*  :faint:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

On August 30, 2016 at 10:57 PM, oilshale said:

Cambrian turtle everyone :hearty-laugh:

On 08/30/2016 at 10:46 PM, Troodon said:

Here is the real one.  :(

450px-Caudipteryx_zoui,_feathered_dinosaur_plate,_Early_Cretaceous,_Yixian_Formation,_Liaoning,_China_-_Houston_Museum_of_Natural_Science_-_DSC01866.JPG

I bid 35 american dollars for this, but you have to pay shipping. :fistbump:

2 minutes ago, Kane said:

This one is a must-have:

Threadless “Mysterious Fossil” The Flintstones T-Shirt.gif

There are no fossils in the wrong place. - Richard Dawkins.

This reminds me of about 20 years years ago, somebody asked a professional paleontologist if they had ever found anything out of context (a fossil where it shouldn't be), and the paleontologist replied "I once found a Homer Simpson doll in a Carboniferous formation". :rofl:

On 8/30/2016 at 2:57 PM, oilshale said:

That's just to funny......Its all most as funny as a fossil of a human riding a dinosaur.......:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.