Aust, Triassic hunting with John Brewer

Barerootbonsai

7 hours ago, Barerootbonsai said:

Yes John I would love to i could take you to another place I will check it out. show you where I got the one I sent to you.  :D

I'm game. Ought to come down for a couple of days and do your new secret place as well as Aust. Have the works finished at Aust yet?

19 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

I'm game. Ought to come down for a couple of days and do your new secret place as well as Aust. Have the works finished at Aust yet?

Hi John

No Aust still the same although people are walking around the fencing on weekends.  Still found big stuff North side.  got to much so not been back.

LOL my place is not secret just have to be warey as the farmers have problems with general miss use of fields and so are not really happy or can be unapproachable.

look fwd to seeing you.

Did you see the BBC prog this week on the extinction of dinosaurs.  Very interesting.

Off to work now, busy at the moment.

nick

On 2016-9-5 at 10:05 AM, Barerootbonsai said:

A start is made a good tip don't buy cheep vinegar it does not work as well.  I need to find ascetic acid I think once I am a bit better at it.  

I started on on the dust and small bits in my bag and wheelbarrow.  Started picking stuff out.  I thought I was picking to much out so awaited my new lamp and magnifying glass to come.  Resorted and removed 90% of my pickings lol.  I am still on the small bits really but to date this is it.  Thanks Paleowhatonist :D I was looking at places up near you and the Cotswolds not really found a good place to go looking.

IMG_2437.jpg

Just a word of caution @Barerootbonsai about acid prepping at this link supplied. I've some Rheatic bone bed matrix I need to desolve as well at some point. If I get the same results as you I'll be more than pleased.

• I found this Informative 2

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

4 hours ago, DE&i said:

Just a word of caution @Barerootbonsai about acid prepping at this link supplied. I've some Rheatic bone bed matrix I need to desolve as well at some point. If I get the same results as you I'll be more than pleased.

Acetic acid, especially glacial acetic acid which is neat, is very nasty stuff. If you guys want some drop me a pm and I'll sort some out for you. Remember when mixing with water ALWAYS ADD ACID TO WATER not the other way around. It will work better if a buffer is added, sodium acetate for acetic acid, as this will prevent it losing its power (moving towards pH neutral).

@DE&i @Barerootbonsai

Edited by JohnBrewer
Tags
  • I found this Informative 1

6 hours ago, DE&i said:

Hi DE&i  thanks for the advice taking it slow John pointed me in the right diresction.  been slowly at it almost a year now.  years worth of stuff yet to do.  Work just gets in the way bring on retirement lol.