Aust, Triassic hunting with John Brewer

Barerootbonsai

Well this is the end of the sifting from the dust and small pieces when collected.  I appologise I dont have a Scanner yet and the camera is the closest I can get to.  they are small but look so big in a magnifier.  the big piece is the size of a pencil tip.  I hope to find Bone and bigger bits as I work on the rest.  A good start though.

DSC00010.jpg

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After a few sessions in vinegar this is the result of some of the big rock.

third pic has some kind of bone.

Not sure of the last picture perhaps someone has an Idea.

DSC01937.JPG

DSC01940.JPG

DSC01943.JPG

DSC01944.JPG

DSC01945.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing and can't wait to see more!:popcorn:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Last one looks interesting! Paraloid vinegar maybe a little poke with dental tools Paraloid vinegar....... Vinegar will damage bone from Aust so every time you uncover more bone Paraloid the bare parts.

As Darctooth says :popcorn:

• 1 month later...

Well all the latest news on my finds.  The first is before cleaning.  The rest are after really pleased it apears to be a vert of some sort and a Bone.  what appear to be blobs of bone,  a few dendrites and small teeth.  i saw in a book triasic fossils are rare here in the Uk and to show durasic coast triasic fossils to Charmouth heratige centre.  As I am down there next month I will take it.

DSC01945.jpg

Aust.jpg

DSC00030.jpg

DSC00031.jpg

DSC00033.jpg

DSC00035.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 2 months later...

Wandered down to Aust to take pictures, there was a few good lumps of bone stone and vola!!  These all join up.  :)

IMG_2609.JPG

• 3 months later...

JB said of this a tooth. Either ichthyosaur or plesiosaur. I have think plesiosaur as they're found there :)

DSC00342 comp.JPG

DSC00345 comp.JPG

Great report... the whole process from beginning to end. Are all those little dark bits supposedly vertebrate remains, and is there any information on identifying the critter that the different types of teeth or what-have-you belonged to?

I like the stratigraphic pic near the beginning too (too bad there isn't a larger version of that pic). There is something I love about red rocks, whether they have fossils or not.

8 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Great report... the whole process from beginning to end. Are all those little dark bits supposedly vertebrate remains, and is there any information on identifying the critter that the different types of teeth or what-have-you belonged to?

I like the stratigraphic pic near the beginning too (too bad there isn't a larger version of that pic). There is something I love about red rocks, whether they have fossils or not.

Good morning Wringellian, Thanks for the comment.  I am not sure what the Black bits are some appear to be all types of bone but microscopic fragments.  The petridish posted on saturday is my big teath, not identified yet.  and there is a dish with far smaller teath.  There are the od scale.  I do have bits I am slowly working on with bigish bones not Identified. 

i hope to post pics on  a uk site to help identification.  I have a crate full to work on lol. 

Red rocks streach all around the South west coast.  they are beautiful.  I could put two pic of Cotham Slate found in the same area, not red nor fossils but stunning.

I have heard of Cotham marble, is that the same thing? (I think it's supposed to be stromatolitic), I would like to see it, yes please sir.

14 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

I have heard of Cotham marble, is that the same thing? (I think it's supposed to be stromatolitic), I would like to see it, yes please sir.

LOL as they say in the films don't call me Sir I work for a living. ;)

You all are the clever ones It is you I should call sir:D

I collect Suiseki and veiwing stones and that is why I have these  two pices of Cotham Slate/marble.  Hope you like them.

The first looks like a distant forest.  the 2nd a winter scene to me.  I love them.  What do you think Wrangellian?

image1(1).JPG

image2.JPG

I was paraphrasing "please can I have some more, sir?" ;)

That stuff is very picturesque, I guess rockhounds would call it and related materials 'picture jasper'. But I can't see how they can tell it is stromatolitic, Can you see any layers built up by daily/tidal cycles of deposition on cyanobacteria? Are you able to get chunks or appreciable slices of it? I've seen pieces like yours on ebay and such but in none of the pics can I see fine layers.

On 12/05/2017 at 0:35 PM, Barerootbonsai said:

LOL as they say in the films don't call me Sir I work for a living. ;)

You all are the clever ones It is you I should call sir:D

I collect Suiseki and veiwing stones and that is why I have these  two pices of Cotham Slate/marble.  Hope you like them.

The first looks like a distant forest.  the 2nd a winter scene to me.  I love them.  What do you think Wrangellian?

image1(1).JPG

image2.JPG

Really beautiful Nick. I'll be down in the summer. Up for another hunt?

On 13/05/2017 at 3:49 AM, Wrangellian said:

I was paraphrasing "please can I have some more, sir?" ;)

That stuff is very picturesque, I guess rockhounds would call it and related materials 'picture jasper'. But I can't see how they can tell it is stromatolitic, Can you see any layers built up by daily/tidal cycles of deposition on cyanobacteria? Are you able to get chunks or appreciable slices of it? I've seen pieces like yours on ebay and such but in none of the pics can I see fine layers.

That Wrangellian unfortunately I cannot answer, the only time I have knowingly come across it is in this form.  I guess layered pieces are not sort after and therefor not kept.  The layers exposed I know of are at the top of the cliffs.

Reference cycles of deposition on cyanobacteria I have just looked it up as i had no I dea what it was LOL.  but no I have not seen anything in the few pieces I have. it would be cool though I will keep my eyes peeled.  It had to take a trip with John to identify the bone stone I am a real novice.

Yes John I would love to i could take you to another place I will check it out. show you where I got the one I sent to you.  :D