Real or Fake

Tomwith3girls

The website that is selling this reports it as:

5.47 in Megaladon Tooth with repair/restoration to the enamel on the display side.

To me, it looks painted, or rubber....

Is this a real tooth?Meg.jpg

The root appears straight forward (real), but the enamel looks very suspicious to the point of seeming fake. It obviously has had A LOT of restoration to it.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

You could probably buy a much nicer, less restored tooth for the same amount of money elsewhere. 

Personally, I'd pass on this one. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The tooth is real but I believe the center was restored due to enamel peel.  Why the look of being fake.  Poor resto.  How is the other side?

Meg.thumb.jpg.a1cb8c4bedca7266c0c1c73f22472135.jpg

Terrible restoration job.  As note the root and tooth itself are all likely the real deal but the entire display side enamel appears to have been dipped in a block epoxy paint.  You can even see where they etched a series of vertical lines in the "new enamel surface" to make it appear as though the enamel was cracking naturally.  I'd pass on this for sure unless it's dirt cheap as compared to similar size teeth (i.e. way under $100). 

2 hours ago, hokiehunter said:

Terrible restoration job.  As note the root and tooth itself are all likely the real deal but the entire display side enamel appears to have been dipped in a block epoxy paint.  You can even see where they etched a series of vertical lines in the "new enamel surface" to make it appear as though the enamel was cracking naturally.  I'd pass on this for sure unless it's dirt cheap as compared to similar size teeth (i.e. way 

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am definitely going to pass on this one. It's too bad though, I was trying to surprise my wife with her first Meg. We have been fossil collecting now for 2 years and it is so addicting! 

20 minutes ago, Tomwith3girls said:

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am definitely going to pass on this one. It's too bad though, I was trying to surprise my wife with her first Meg. We have been fossil collecting now for 2 years and it is so addicting! 

You could get a superb meg for that money, it's gonna be smaller though. Quality rather than quantity :)