Drilling Holes in Fossils

TERRY ROWEKAMP

28 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Are you possibly going to fast with excessive pressure and it overheats.  

Many of those industrial diamonds they use for those bits are no harder than quartz. I would suspect that with this and what @Troodon (Ha! Figured I'd see what the hubbub was all about with @****)said, your bits failed. Have you tried a carbide tungsten bit? 

Best regards,

Paul

...I'm back.

Welcome to TFF ! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

A little drip of water may help - just don't electrocute yourself.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

The other thing is that if you're not keeping your hands steady it will put extra pressure on the shaft of the bit causing it to break. 

thanks for all the advice. I am drilling them in water. The bits I have are blunt, no point at the end and this might be part of the problem. Good advice on the carbon tungsten bits. Will try those. I'll get back to you all later. Terry

• 4 weeks later...

I think this was meant to be Posted here. ;)

"The key was to use a drill bit that was a spiral bit. Thanks for the advice on using the tungsten carbide bits. They worked great.  Take your time, drill under water and use a spiral bit.  I used 1mm bits for my holes.  If you want bigger holes drill smaller first and then go back and use larger bit. I also realized that I was drilling limestone so the rock only had a hardness of 3.  Thanks again for all the advice. Terry"

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Welcome aboard :)

I think Troodon may be right with too much pressure. Get another drill bit and start again and use ice cold water as a coolant. Don't put too much pressure on the drill, the bit should do the work rather than pressure. 

When you've made what your making make sure you post it on the forum!

Archived