Real or fake? China bird fossil

cheney416

This is a fossil seller"s bird fossil. He says this fossil is from China. But i think this fossil is can be fake. If it is real, i don't think it is a bird fossil. How about you? What do you think about this fossil? Please give me a lot of ideas! 

KakaoTalk_20160901_080150526.jpg

KakaoTalk_20160901_080149515.jpg

KakaoTalk_20160901_080148753.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

I would be very suspicious of this fossil.  Birds just do not fossilize in a pose position that is perfect for displaying.  The ribs are set perfectly which is highly unlikely.   The photo detail is not sharp enough to determine how many of the bones are real or if any of the skull is real.  So it's been assembled to look like a bird.

• I found this Informative 2

Fake, in my opinion. 

Vertebrate fossils are not allowed out of China. 

With the notable exception of some fish fossils and some keichousaurs, ... which are numerous, and of no scientific value.

Once in a while, you see something from an old collection, but many fakes come out of China.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Looks fake to me.

There could be some actual bone in there. Not sure though.

"Fossils have richer stories to tell about the lub-dub of dinosaur life than we have been willing to listen to." - Robert T. Bakker

Look at the color of the so called matrix the bird is in, then look at the rock that it is on.   Not a good thing.

RB

21 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Fake, in my opinion. 

Vertebrate fossils are not allowed out of China. 

With the notable exception of some fish fossils and some keichousaurs, ... which are numerous, and of no scientific value.

Once in a while, you see something from an old collection, but many fakes come out of China.

Regards,

Keichousaurus is no longer allowed unfortunately. It used to be "OK" because no punishment was set. In 2009 the punishment was set, and in 2011 a list of fossils of priority protection was created (the species names take up over 40 pages). Keichousaurus is listed in the second protection level, which means export of three specimens equals life imprisonment or death sentence plus confiscation of all personal belongings. Birds are all in the first and second levels (the first level has the same punishment with export of just one specimen). With such high risk it is unlikely we can find new ones for sale.

By the way, many Chinese sellers pretend to be from outside China so that you will believe their fakes are real (not limited to fossils). I've bought from many ebay sellers claiming to be from Hong Kong (where I am), and all of the packages came with customs forms showing they were from China. Some of them will decline shipping within China or to Hong Kong so you won't discover they are lying about the item location. But if you are from the US for example, there is no way for you to tell. There are companies that will first take their packages to Hong Kong, then reship them using Hong Kong Post, so when you receive it you will see Hong Kong's customs form and stamp.

• I found this Informative 1

38 minutes ago, sdsnl said:

Keichousaurus is no longer allowed unfortunately. It used to be "OK" because no punishment was set. In 2009 the punishment was set, and in 2011 a list of fossils of priority protection was created (the species names take up over 40 pages). Keichousaurus is listed in the second protection level, which means export of three specimens equals life imprisonment or death sentence plus confiscation of all personal belongings. Birds are all in the first and second levels (the first level has the same punishment with export of just one specimen). With such high risk it is unlikely we can find new ones for sale.

By the way, many Chinese sellers pretend to be from outside China so that you will believe their fakes are real (not limited to fossils). I've bought from many ebay sellers claiming to be from Hong Kong (where I am), and all of the packages came with customs forms showing they were from China. Some of them will decline shipping within China or to Hong Kong so you won't discover they are lying about the item location. But if you are from the US for example, there is no way for you to tell. There are companies that will first take their packages to Hong Kong, then reship them using Hong Kong Post, so when you receive it you will see Hong Kong's customs form and stamp.

Thank you for clearing the air on that. :)

I had no idea Keichousaurs were no longer allowed to be shipped out of China. 

Don't want to be giving out bad info.

Thanks again. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely fake. The skull almost seems cartoonish to me. Stay away.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

3 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

Whisle obviously removing a country's heritage is wrong and should be punishable, a death sentence does seem a bit harsh!

That Is so far off the deep end. If only laws like this weren't so strict...

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

• 2 weeks later...
On Friday, September 02, 2016 at 6:19 AM, sdsnl said:

is it possible to send the link?

Keep looking! They're everywhere!

41 minutes ago, fossiling said:

is it possible to send the link?

Do you want a copy of the Chinese law?

I have it saved on my computer which broke recently, I am now using a backup and need some time to put together a new one and import my old data in. I can find it for you in about a week if you don't mind reminding me then?

If you need it sooner I have posted it on another thread a long time ago, maybe you could find it by searching other posts about Chinese fossils.

On ‎25‎.‎09‎.‎2016 at 3:51 PM, fossiling said:

oh, no I just want it for reference.I can find it for myself if it bothers you to do so.

I think this is the document you are looking for:  http://www.mlr.gov.cn/dzhj/gswhs/tzgg/201207/W020120723389711761880.doc

If this 胡氏贵州龙 means Keichousaurus , then - yes - they are listed as protected.

Thomas

• I found this Informative 1

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

'See this here diamond ring? That's a genuine blue diamond. Belonged to my grandmother, bless her late soul.  I had it appraised for 50 thousand.  But, I like your face...yours for only $250.

While we're at it. This here is priceless bird fossil.  Grandma had it hanging on the wall above the stove.  Grandpa brought it back from the war. She spent hours cooking on that stove and staring at this fossil.  A quality piece that museums around the world would drool over.  Buy the ring and I'll toss it in for just another $100.

Am I crazy? No. I just want them both to have a good home'

• 2 weeks later...

Even though I am horrible at identifying fakes, I can immediately tell it's fake... So I hope you didn't pay much for it, because it's a waste of money:wacko:

Anyways many people already told you it's fake, so I'm not of much help...

Regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils