More UV Stuff

kozmik frakture

The 1st photo is of Coquina.  I hadn't noticed before, but, it does fluoresce and shows phosphoresce when the UV light is removed.  Only last a few seconds, but very apparent.  The nautilus glows nicely as does the unburied bald cypress. 

phosphoresence when UV removed.jpg

nautalis & 2 sedimentary somethings UV.jpg

nautalis & 2 sedimentary somethings white light.jpg

cypress dc UV.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Pretty cool! About 50% of the fisherites we gather here in SE Minnesota are fluorescent under black light. I have one aquarium set up with some fluorescent fossils and minerals with a black light in the hood and a curtain over the front. When kids come through on tours they love it!  :-D

• I found this Informative 1

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

• 2 years later...

I was just going through some of the fossils that I collected last week in Florida and was checking to see if any of them were  fluorescent.  Below are a couple examples that did and that show the color patterns that they had in life. I’m not positive if I’ve ever found it in any other species of shell besides these, but I might have, I just don’t recall. So far I found 11 examples of the same species from this trip that are  fluorescent- here are a couple examples.

2B2CBEE0-AA1C-49A4-97EC-72D893F4AF25.jpeg.e661e5809c1e41c3bef9a5cf9cfe7a8b.jpegB6B668E3-BE59-4280-A2BA-7C207A4BE1CD.thumb.jpeg.763ba2883a9f824cef7be38d377cf73c.jpeg678DD992-0502-48BF-9A99-F986C106BA94.thumb.jpeg.128589a746ef35c1844ce78c60a025e5.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Cool stuff! I know I had some that were glowing as well.  Architectonica's were especially interesting...The tiger shark teeth from the Tamiami were sort of interesting as well....the ones with the gray tips had an eerie orange glow...I tried taking some shots over the weekend with my cell phone and the photos were duds and didnt do them any justice...I'll have to figure out whats going on there...

Regards, Chris 

30 minutes ago, Plantguy said:

I tried taking some shots over the weekend with my cell phone

That is how I did it, but you are correct that they do not look the way they do under the light.